Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.k12.ma.us
Fri Jun 19 13:52:33 UTC 2020

Dear Needham Public Schools Families:

As we get ready for summer break, I’d like to update you on our thinking
and planning efforts for the fall.

First, let me congratulate the 404 members of the Needham High School Class
of 2020! While they had a challenging conclusion to their senior year, the
community recently honored the class with an extraordinary show of spirit
and celebration during a parade through town which culminated in a final
stop at NHS where many received their diplomas before heading on to work,
college and the military. Seniors will also have another ceremony on
Memorial Field in July when the remainder of the class will receive
diplomas. We wish them the best!

Allow me also to express my appreciation for your partnership, patience,
and support over the last few months as we worked together during the
health emergency to implement our remote learning plan.

When we shuttered schools back on March 13th, our staff had only a few days
to figure out how we would continue providing instruction and maintain
connections with our students in a remote environment.  I am proud of how
hard they worked to meet student needs and create lessons that kept them
learning, however imperfectly. We clearly have not yet perfected the art of
remote learning; there are things we know we can and will do to strengthen
our instructional plans should we need them in the future.  There are areas
to improve and grow, and I appreciate that over 2,500 parents completed the
recent survey to help us better understand the parent perspective on our
work.  This summer, almost 400 teachers will work together to review their
instructional strategies, learn new technology skills, and recalibrate and
adjust the curriculum so we will be prepared for students in the fall.  We
are excited to leverage our remote learning experience into new ideas and
strategies in order to enhance the classroom experience for our students.

Even as we end school and prepare for our summer work, we are planning for
the fall. I know parents have many questions about next year:  Will the
school start on time? What will it look like?  Will it be safe? These, and
other questions, are the right ones and the very questions we are thinking
about and focused on.  I can’t tell you at this moment what next fall will
look like; we simply don’t know yet.  What I can do is share the following
information:

•  We will prioritize health and safety for all of our students and staff
in any plans we develop.

• We are awaiting guidance from the Governor and the Commissioner of
Education who will provide general direction and plans for all schools to
implement in the coming year.  I expect that he will share his initial
plans within the next two weeks.  For more information: COVID-19 MA
Department of Elementary & Secondary Education
<http://www.doe.mass.edu/covid19/>

• In anticipation of receiving the Commissioner's guidance, we have created
five task forces in the areas of technology, teaching and learning, student
support services, operations & human resources, and health & wellness all
working together under the guidance of a COVID-19 Advisory Committee
comprised of staff, parents, town officials, and public health experts.
These groups are collaborating now and will work throughout the summer to
plan for a safe reopening of school in the fall. For more information about
our work, please review a recent School Committee update:  Update on
COVID-19 Emergency
<https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1aGzeik5J4GyCxTmXAdbNl4RMqLcR0K-2WIPMj04h6Ew/edit?usp=sharing>

•  Our work, which we have based on the Centers for Disease Control (CDC)
Guidelines
<https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/schools-childcare/schools.html>,
so
far has identified five possibilities:

1. A return to school with a new normal of health and safety protocols so
that all students can be in the buildings

2.  A model with some students in the buildings and some at home to
accommodate students' physical and mental health needs

3.  A model with alternating schedules where students attend on
different days so we have more room in the buildings for social distancing

4.  A model that requires the school to be closed for a short period of
time with learning at home, in response to reported cases of COVID-19 at
school

5.  A complete remote learning model in which all students remain home

• We will continue to partner with the Needham Education Association in all
of our planning, and we will make sure that all employees representing
teachers, teacher assistants, nutrition services, clerical/technical staff,
and administrators are represented in the process.

While the timeline for making decisions about the reopening of schools will
depend on the Commissioner's guidance as well as public health
considerations, I expect to bring tentative plans and updates to the School
Committee in July.  *Of course, any plans we make to reopen schools could
be changed later in the summer if public health officials determine it is
necessary to do so. * We will have to be flexible and nimble with our
planning to adjust as the situation requires.  Families can expect regular
updates and information throughout the summer months as we plan for your
child's new school year.

Finally, let me conclude by also acknowledging and recognizing how we as a
community of learners have responded to the recent events surrounding the
murder of George Floyd in Minneapolis. Our teachers and staff prioritized
lessons, readings, and difficult conversations about racial violence and
inequities in the last couple of weeks, and our high school students led a
Black Lives Matter rally and march involving hundreds of students, staff,
and community members that culminated in an 8 minute and 46 second period
of silence honoring Mr. Floyd and all of those who are victims of racial
violence and hatred.

Our students were eloquent, passionate, poised; and they are hurt, angry,
and tired.  They shared stories about racist experiences they have had in
school and in town at local stores and restaurants; they expressed
frustration at how they are often perceived or treated. As the students
that live and learn in Needham ended their rally, they stood on the steps
of Needham's Town Hall and demanded that we, the adults, do better by them
and for them. And they are right.  We can and we must do better.

What I have come to realize is that this is not their fight, nor is it the
responsibility of black, brown, and Asian neighbors and colleagues to lead
the efforts around anti-racism.  Instead, Needham’s students and staff of
color have taught me it is the white staff and community members who must
assume responsibility for taking anti-racist and anti-bias actions and
steps that will finally address hatred, discrimination, and racism in our
schools, community, and nation. We are responsible to help make this world
a better, fairer, and more just place for all children and adults.  The
Needham Public Schools is committed to this work, and we promise to share
additional actions and updates in the new school year.  For more
information about our initial efforts, please check out the district’s
website: Equity in the Needham Public Schools
<http://www.needham.k12.ma.us/equity>

I hope the weeks and months ahead provide you and your family time to hang
out, enjoy some good books, and relax and rejuvenate. Thanks for your
partnership with the Needham Public Schools.  Stay safe and have a great
summer!

Respectfully,

Dan Gutekanst
Superintendent of Schools
Needham Public Schools
1330 Highland Avenue, Needham, MA 02492
781-455-0400 x11203
dan_gutekanst at needham.k12.ma.us

ATTENTION: If you speak a language other than English, language assistance
services are available to you free of charge. Contact your child’s school
for assistance.

Chinese (Simplified): 请注意:如果您的母语不是英语,我们将免费提供您语言辅助服务。如需协助,请与您孩子 的学校联系。

Spanish: ATENCION: Si usted habla un idioma que no sea el inglés, hay
servicios de asistencia lingüística disponibles gratis. Contacte la escuela
de su hijo para asistencia.

Russian: ВНИМАНИЕ: Если вы не говорите на английском языке, для вас
доступны бесплатные языковые сервисы на вашем языке. Обратитесь за помощью
в школу, в которой учится ваш ребенок.