Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.k12.ma.us
Tue Dec 15 19:08:36 UTC 2020

Dear Needham Public Schools Families:

Allow me to share two important updates:

*• Weather-related School Closures* The winter season is upon us, and this
year we will continue to prioritize safety as the major factor in deciding
if we can open schools or not. The implementation of our hybrid and remote
learning programs means that we can continue learning for all students at
home even if school buildings must be closed due to a storm. *Thus, I
anticipate most days that otherwise would be traditional snow days with no
teaching and learning can become remote learning days for all students. *

Additional information, including how families are notified about
weather-related closures, can be found on the district website: Weather-related
Information
<http://www.needham.k12.ma.us/UserFiles/Servers/Server_64429/File/District/Inclement%20Weather%20Information.pdf>
The
quickest way to find out about a weather-related decision is Twitter where
I also post the information: https://twitter.com/@NPS_Supt

*• Family Responsibilities Over Vacation* As we approach the holidays and
winter break, we ask that you review the following checklist, and complete
each of the items below before your student(s) returns to school on
1/4/2021.  It is important to complete a daily symptom check each day for
each of your children, and adhere to the travel order in order to keep our
community healthy.

Before my student returns to school on January 4, I have:

   -

   Reviewed the Needham Public Schools Illness Guidelines
   <http://www.needham.k12.ma.us/cms/One.aspx?portalId=64513&pageId=32912157>
   -

   Reviewed the Massachusetts Travel Order
   <https://www.mass.gov/info-details/covid-19-travel-order>and if you have
   traveled to a non lower-risk state, completed the Massachusetts Travel
   Form
   <https://www.mass.gov/info-details/covid-19-travel-order#massachusetts-travel-form->.
   Just a reminder that if your student has traveled to a non lower-risk
   state, they must submit documentation of a negative PCR/molecular test that
   was done within 72 hours of arrival back to MA, or must quarantine for 14
   days.  Please note the following:
   -

      Children 10 and under can return to school without a PCR/molecular
      test as long as the parent/guardian who travels with the student submits
      documentation of a negative PCR/molecular test to the school nurse
      -

      If the parent or student does not have a negative PCR/molecular test,
      the student must quarantine for 14 days as per the travel order
      -

      Students 11 and older must submit documentation of a negative
      PCR/molecular test done within 72 hours of arrival back to MA, or must
      quarantine for 14 days
      -

      ***A PCR test done prior to leaving Massachusetts i.e. for a weekend
      trip, does not meet the requirement, the PCR test must be done after
      leaving the state
      -

      *Students who have traveled and have not followed the appropriate
      protocols will be sent home immediately and remain home until they have
      completed a period of quarantine and/or received a negative PCR test
      result.*

   -

   Reviewed the Daily Symptoms Checklist
   <http://www.needham.k12.ma.us/cms/One.aspx?portalId=64513&pageId=32912140>;
   this must be completed each day for each of your students
   -

   Submitted documentation of your student’s flu shot-documentation must be
   received by the school nurse by December 31, 2021
   -

   Notified your student’s school nurse if your student was positive for
   COVID-19, diagnosed with the flu, or was identified as a close contact
   while over winter break
   -

   Talked to your student about the need to wear a mask while outside of
   school, avoid gathering in groups indoors and in cars, and maintain a
   distance of 6 feet

Thank you for your continued partnership as we work through this
challenging time together, and we wish you a happy and health holiday
season!

Dan Gutekanst
Superintendent of Schools
Needham Public Schools
1330 Highland Avenue, Needham, MA 02492
781-455-0400 x11203
dan_gutekanst at needham.k12.ma.us

ATTENTION: If you speak a language other than English, language assistance
services are available to you free of charge. Contact your child’s school
for assistance.

Chinese (Simplified): 请注意:如果您的母语不是英语,我们将免费提供您语言辅助服务。如需协助,请与您孩子 的学校联系。

Spanish: ATENCION: Si usted habla un idioma que no sea el inglés, hay
servicios de asistencia lingüística disponibles gratis. Contacte la escuela
de su hijo para asistencia.

Russian: ВНИМАНИЕ: Если вы не говорите на английском языке, для вас
доступны бесплатные языковые сервисы на вашем языке. Обратитесь за помощью
в школу, в которой учится ваш ребенок.