Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.k12.ma.us
Thu Apr 23 16:09:20 UTC 2020

April 23, 2020

Dear Needham Public Schools Families:

On Tuesday Governor Baker extended the state-mandated closure of schools
through the end of the school year in response to the health crisis. This
news prompted additional questions and concerns from families, students,
and staff. Let me reassure you that the district’s dedicated teachers and
administrators remain committed to the development and care of all our
students and families. It is important for our families to know that under
the capable hands of Needham Public Schools educators, and with the support
of loving families and a caring community, our students are learning and
growing every day.

The pandemic has changed our lives and caused us to reinvent the school
experience. As I connect with the schools, I am inspired by the creative
lessons, pictures, and videos of our students and teachers participating in
remote learning. These artifacts are evidence of the implementation of the
district’s Remote Learning Plan with a focus on three key priorities: 1)
Maintain and nurture strong connections and relationships with students and
families; 2) Engage students directly in the curriculum in thoughtful and
measured ways so all students can learn and grow; and 3) Provide services
and supports to help meet the many needs of all students, particularly our
most vulnerable students. Thank you to parents and family members who are
balancing work demands, family needs, and student learning in unanticipated
ways.

Allow me to share three important updates:

• As the Governor extended the school closure date, the Commissioner of
Education once again notified us about new remote learning and curriculum
guidance that will be issued, presumably by the end of this week or early
next week. We will review this guidance and determine if any aspect of our NPS
Remote Learning Plan
<http://www.needham.k12.ma.us/cms/One.aspx?portalId=64513&pageId=32266432> will
need to be adjusted or changed. Please stay tuned for information on how
our district will respond to these new state guidelines.

• After the Governor’s announcement, teacher leaders and administrators met
to discuss the first couple of weeks of implementation of the district’s
Remote Learning Plan and to discuss what changes may be needed, especially
now that we know we are going beyond the May 4th date. Additionally, our
principals and schools are conducting surveys and/or holding virtual Open
Houses with families to understand what is working well and where there are
areas needing our attention.  While the three priorities referenced above
will continue to guide our work, I believe we will need to consider how we
can maximize teacher and student interactions so that students remain
engaged, connected, and learning throughout the next several weeks and
until the last day of school on Friday, June 19th.

• There are some additional pressing issues that we have already begun to
address. For example, we are working on providing an alternative way of
hosting graduation and other traditional year-end activities that our
students, particularly our high school seniors, have anticipated for so
long.  We are researching how to provide additional support to students,
potentially in the summer and into the fall. We are also thinking about how
to continue to nurture a sense of community, caring, and wellbeing for all
students, families, and staff. Perhaps most critical, we need to prepare
for the transition back to school when our buildings reopen, including ways
to accommodate social distancing if still needed.

One of the silver linings to the health emergency is that our students and
teachers are bravely learning about and practicing the skills critical to
our students’ futures, as identified in the Portrait of A Needham Graduate
<http://www.needham.k12.ma.us/UserFiles/Servers/Server_64429/File/District/PORTRAIT%20competencies.pdf>
and the district’s strategic plan. The Portrait competencies are being
tested in the real world as we prepare all Needham Public Schools students
to be creative thinkers and problem solvers, communicators and
collaborators, socially and culturally responsive contributors, responsible
and resilient individuals, and empowered learners. Despite the challenges,
students and teachers will clearly learn, grow, and connect in ways that we
do not even see yet!

Thank you for your feedback and suggestions, your words of encouragement to
our teachers and principals, and your understanding as we work together
to support our amazing students. Should you have any questions, please
continue to reach out to me. My phone number is 781.455.0400, x11203 or
dan_gutekanst at needham.k12.ma.us

Respectfully,

Dan Gutekanst

Superintendent of Schools