Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.k12.ma.us
Tue Oct 15 20:22:02 UTC 2019

Dear Needham Public Schools Families:

Allow me to share the following updates as we begin a new week:

*•  Sunita L. William School Open House  *The Needham School Committee will
host an Open House at the new Sunita L. Williams Elementary School, located
at 585 Central Ave., on Saturday morning, October 19, from 9:00 until 10:30
a.m.  This is an opportunity for parents and members of the community to
tour the new school and chat informally with your School Committee and
share ideas, questions, and concerns.  Please join us!

*•  Needham Schools Spotlight  *Please check out the latest cable show
featuring a discussion with the School Committee about challenges and
opportunities in the year ahead:  Needham Schools Spotlight
<http://www.needham.k12.ma.us/news/what_s_new/needham_schools_spotlight> .
You may also view the program on local cable.

*• Superintendent's Blog *I try to update my blog monthly to ensure parents
and members of the community are updated on current school news,
information, and happenings.  Please check out my latest post, What is Your
Why? <http://npssuperintendent.blogspot.com/>

*•  Bus Updates on Twitter*  There are times a bus or van can be delayed
due to road conditions or a mechanical issue.  Parents and students who
wish to receive updates about school transportation can sign on to Twitter
to receive timely, updated, and helpful alerts:
https://twitter.com/NeedhamPSTrans  Parents and students are also
encouraged to follow me on Twitter to receive important school news and
updates, including weather-related school cancellations:
https://twitter.com/NPS_Supt

*•  Student Accolades*  Congratulations to several Needham High School
students for being named *Semi-Finalists* in the National Merit Scholarship
Qualifying Test:  Matthew Culver, Jason Hedman, Anne Kiely, Zachary Lu,
Annie Stein, Cindy Zhang, Helena Zhang. Congrats also to *Commended
Students:*  Itai Abraham, Andrew Atallah, Noah Basson, Caleb Boyer, Ora
Caperton, Andy Feng, Josh Fleckner, Jess Hung, Joseph Kim, Andrew Li,
Isabelle Liu, John Lively, Isabelle Lockhart, Max Mazzarese, Logan Packard,
Matt Peijovich, Kelly Putnam, Will Roberts, Kelsey Rondini, Leroy
Shaigorodsky, Zach Stickles, Drew Siegenthaler, Colin Wells, Eric Xu, and
Lucy Ying. We are proud of these and all of our students who each day
demonstrate a commitment to the competencies embedded in the District's
Portrait of a Needham Graduate Strategic Plan
<http://www.needham.k12.ma.us/common/pages/DisplayFile.aspx?itemId=29687762>
 !

As always, please feel free to contact me with any questions or comments:
 781.455.0400, extension 11203 or dan_gutekanst at needham.k12.ma.us

Have a great week!

Dan Gutekanst

Superintendent of Schools