Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.k12.ma.us
Wed Nov 27 17:26:10 UTC 2019

Dear Needham Families:

Allow me to share the following updates:

*•  "Snow Daze" *In the unlikely event winter weather may require the
closing or delayed opening of the Needham Public Schools, I will do my
level best to make a decision about a cancellation or delay by about 5:30
a.m.  Unless it is abundantly clear what the weather conditions will be, I
am often reluctant to call off school the evening before a storm is
predicted because New England weather is fickle.  Once a decision is made,
alerts will go out via email, phone, and on local TV.  The quickest way to
find out is on Twitter where I also post the information. (
For more info:  https://twitter.com/@NPS_Supt )

It is important for students to be in classes as scheduled throughout the
year, and I don't believe a winter storm should necessarily keep us away
from school.  If it is predicted to snow, for instance, four to seven
inches I am inclined to hold classes. There are circumstances, however,
when the snow is minimal but icy and dangerous roads may prevent a safe
school opening or at least require a delay.  Safety for students and staff,
of course, will always be my first consideration.  This coming winter
parents and students should leave plenty of time to get to school and keep
a shovel and galoshes nearby!

*• Needham Schools Spotlight * You may view the latest cable show, a
conversation with NPS students about their future and the Portrait of a
Needham Graduate Strategic Priorities, on local access TV or in this
link: Needham
Schools Spotlight
<http://www.needham.k12.ma.us/news/what_s_new/needham_schools_spotlight>

*•  Superintendent's Blog *My latest blog post focuses on the dedication of
the new Sunita L. Williams Elementary School:  Superintendent's Blog
<http://npssuperintendent.blogspot.com/>

*•  Needham Education Foundation - Teacher Appreciation Gift Cards*

A donation to the Needham Education Foundation is a wonderful way to thank
a special teacher in your child’s life. By purchasing NEF Gift for
Education Cards, you are showing your gratitude while providing vital
support for the funding of teachers' innovative ideas and professional
development opportunities through NEF grants. Your gift helps make learning
come alive! This year's gift card features the artwork of Lilly Bratschi,
5th grader at Broadmeadow Elementary School.  Cards can be purchased in
local stores or online.  More information here: NEF Gift Cards
<https://www.nefneedham.org/support/nefcards/>

*•  Student Achievements  *Congratulations are in order for the two
Massachusetts Association of School Superintendents (MASS) Academic
Excellence Award honorees, Anne Kiely and Eric Xu, both NHS seniors.  Anne
and Eric were honored at a recent School Committee meeting for their superb
commitment to learning and academic excellence.  They clearly represent our
core values around Scholarship and Personal Growth!  At the School
Committee meeting both seniors expressed their deep appreciation for their
parents' support and to all of the Needham teachers who have guided and
assisted them over the years.

Kudos also to the Girls Volleyball Team on the first ever State
Championship for Needham High School!  W
hether on the greens, in the pool, in the classroom, on the field, or on
the stage, our students are talented, mature, hardworking, and poised.
Needham families and the teachers and coaches who  guide them should
rightly be proud!

*•  Happy Thanksgiving!*  We are fortunate to live, work, and learn in an
amazing community like Needham that values children, and we are especially
blessed to be citizens in a vibrant country that serves, however
imperfectly, as a model of democracy, inclusion, and justice to the rest of
a sometimes weary world.  I know I am grateful for my family and to work
with a talented staff, committed parents, and the exceptional young people
of Needham - all of whom inspire civility, peace, and hope.  *Happy
Thanksgiving!*

As always, you can be in touch with me via phone (781.455.0400, x203) or
email: dan_gutekanst at needham.k12.ma.us
*Go Rockets!  Beat Wellesley!! *

Sincerely,

Dan Gutekanst