Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.k12.ma.us
Sun Mar 24 18:33:19 UTC 2019

Dear Needham Public Schools Families:

Allow me to share a few updates as we begin a new week and head into Spring:

*• Portrait of a Needham Graduate  *Parents and families are invited to
learn more about our work this past year to develop a Shared Vision of the
Future <http://npssuperintendent.blogspot.com/2018/10/> for our PreK-12
students.  Please check out this 6 minute video presentation recently
shared as part of a faculty meeting:  Portrait of a Needham Graduate: The
Community Comes Together to Develop a Vision for our Students
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxK-AMP1NXs&feature=youtu.be>.
Additionally, families and community members are encouraged to share
feedback, questions, and comments to the School Committee at their spring
Open House to be held on Saturday, April 6th in the Pollard Middle School
Library from 9:00 until 10:30 a.m.  Your input is important!

*•  Superintendent's Blog*  My recent post provides an update about our
work around equity and inclusion in the Needham Public Schools:
Superintendent's
Blog: Getting REAL in the Needham Schools
<http://npssuperintendent.blogspot.com/>

*• Needham Schools Spotlight *My recent cable show highlights the planned
implementation of Full Day Kindergarten:  Needham Schools Spotlight: Full
Day Kindergarten in 2019!
<http://www.needham.k12.ma.us/news/what_s_new/needham_schools_spotlight>

*•  School Committee Open House  *The School Committee will host an
informal Open House on Saturday, April 6th from 9:00 until 10:30 a.m. in
the Pollard Library for parents and members of the community.  Please stop
by to share an idea, concern, or question about the Needham Public
Schools.  Also, the School Committee is particularly interested to hear
feedback about the Portrait of a Needham Graduate Process
<http://npssuperintendent.blogspot.com/2018/10/> described above.  Share
your ideas and hopes for our children.

*•  Community Forum *The NPS, supported by the Needham Human Rights
Committee, Needham Diversity Initiative, and Citizens for Needham Schools,
will host a *Racial Equity in Action *Forum on Wednesday evening, April
24th in the NHS Cafeteria from 6 until 8:00 p.m.  Join us to hear an update
about our successes and challenges to ensure equity and inclusion for all
students in the NPS.

*•  Student Accolades  *The 2019 Scholastic Art Awards have been announced,
and over 20 NHS and Pollard students won Gold Keys, Silver Key, or
Honorable Mentions for their incredible and creative work.  For more
information, please check out this tory in the Hometown Weekly:  NPS 2019
Scholastic Art Award Winners
<http://www.hometownweekly.net/needham/needham-students-win-art-awards/>
Congratulations to our students for their scholarship and creativity!

As always, please feel free to contact me with any questions or comments:
781.455.0400, extension 11203 or dan_gutekanst at needham.k12.ma.us

Respectfully,

Dan Gutekanst
Superintendent of Schools