Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.k12.ma.us
Mon Dec 9 19:59:25 UTC 2019

Dear Needham Families:

This Wednesday, December 11th is scheduled to be an early release day for
all students.  *However, given the preliminary weather forecast which calls
for snow and ice during the morning commute, we have decided that
Wednesday, December 11th will be a regularly scheduled school day for all
students with no early release.  Weather permitting, classes will begin at
the regular time and conclude at the regular time.*

It's not possible to plan a delayed opening and an early release on the
same day; bus schedules are disrupted and students would only be in class
for two hours.  In order for a school day to count toward our required
minimum 180 school days, classes must be scheduled for at least half the
regularly scheduled day.

I recognize that changing schedules for families on short notice is less
than ideal.  However, without any change in the planned schedule and if the
morning commute was unsafe, I would have to cancel the entire day, further
disrupting family and student schedules.

If the weather conditions on Wednesday, or any other day, require a delayed
opening or cancellation, I will notify families as soon as possible and
typically by 5:30 a.m.

Thanks for your patience and understanding as we begin a new round of
winter weather.

Respectfully,

Dan Gutekanst
Superintendent