Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.mec.edu
Wed Sep 5 17:40:52 EDT 2018

Dear Needham Public Schools Families:

Welcome back to school!  We have enjoyed greeting your children this week,
and I can report after visiting each school and many classrooms that the
energy is high and the smiles (and the new sneakers) are bright. We are
excited to begin a new year and anticipate our continued work on school
construction, the development of the Portrait of a Needham Graduate
<http://npssuperintendent.blogspot.com/2018/03/>, and planning for the
implementation of Full Day Kindergarten
<http://npssuperintendent.blogspot.com/2016/04/>... to name a few of our
key initiatives!

As we begin our first week of school, allow me to share the following
updates:

*•  School Transportation  *New school bus drivers, high bus ridership, and
school and road construction have all resulted in delays and late arrivals
on some bus routes.  In particular, the ongoing construction at Needham
High School, coupled with commuter and school traffic in and around the
high school campus has caused some buses to be delayed on their next
route.  I appreciate your patience as we work to mitigate the impact of
these issues on our buses and can assure you that we are working closely
with public safety officials and our bus contractor, Connolly, to address
all concerns that arise.

*•  Hey, Parents, Want to Learn about Social Media & Your Kids?  *Next
Tuesday evening, September 11th at 7:00 p.m. in the Pollard auditorium, the NEF
and High Rock/Pollard PTC will c0-sponsor a presentation and conversation
with Boston University sociologist and social media expert, Dr. Jill Walsh
about the teen digital landscape.  Please join us!

*•  School Committee Open House at Needham High School  *The School
Committee will host an informal Open House at Needham High on Saturday,
October 27th from 9:00 until 10:30 a.m.  Parents and members of the
community are invited to chat informally with School Committee members
about questions and concerns related to any school matter and to tour
renovated spaces in the building.  Please come and meet your School
Committee.

*•  Superintendent's Blog*  My recent post includes comments I made to the
staff during our our annual back to school general staff meeting:
Superintendent's
Blog <http://npssuperintendent.blogspot.com/>

• * Stay in Touch with the Superintendent!  *One way to stay in touch is to
follow me on Twitter:  *Go ahead, give it a try!*  The quickest way to get
weather-related school closings or other important information is on
Twitter.   For school updates, weather-related school cancellations,
reminders, and photos, go to:  https://twitter.com/@NPS_Supt    Also, you
can be in touch with me via phone (781.455.0400, x11203) or email:
dan_gutekanst at needham.k12.ma.us  I look forward to sharing with and hearing
from you!

Respectfully,
Dan Gutekanst