Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.mec.edu
Mon Oct 15 11:16:06 EDT 2018

Dear Needham Public Schools Families:

Good Monday morning!  Allow me to share the following updates:

*•  Portrait of a Needham Graduate  *Over the last half year over 50
parents, staff, community members, and students have been working to
develop a vision for Needham's students.  Please check out my latest
Superintendent's
Blog <http://npssuperintendent.blogspot.com/> to learn about the Portrait
of a Needham Graduate process and provide input. Your understanding of this
important work *and* your feedback will be critical to our success!

*•  Needham METCO Documentary Premiere  *Please join us this Wednesday,
October 17th at 6:30 p.m. in the Newman auditorium for the world premiere
of *METCO: Yesterday, Today, Tomorrow*, a documentary produced by our very
own NHS teacher, Natalie Guthrie.  The film tells the story of METCO in
Needham through the eyes of staff, parents, and students.  You can check
out a trailer here:  METCO Documentary Trailer
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDJFh-jFgLs&t=18s>

*•  School Committee Open House  *The Needham School Committee will host
an  Open House at Needham High School on Saturday morning, November 17th
from 9:00 until 10:30 a.m.  This is an opportunity for parents and members
of the community to chat informally with your School Committee and share
ideas, questions, and concerns.  Please join us!

*•  Needham Schools Spotlight  *Please check out the latest cable show
featuring a discussion about the proposed new Police and Fire Building
Projects and the strong collaboration and partnership between the Needham
Police Department and the Needham Public Schools:   Needham Schools
Spotlight
<http://www.needham.k12.ma.us/news/what_s_new/needham_schools_spotlight>

*•  Bus Updates on Twitter*  There are times a bus or van can be delayed
due to road conditions or a mechanical issue.  Parents and students who
wish to receive updates about school transportation can sign on to Twitter
to receive timely, updated, and helpful alerts:
https://twitter.com/NeedhamPSTrans  Parents and students are also
encouraged to follow me on Twitter to receive important school news and
updates, including weather-related school cancellations:
https://twitter.com/NPS_Supt

*•  Student Accolades*  Congratulations to several Needham High School
students for being commended or named semi-finalists in the National Merit
Scholarship Qualifying Test:  *Semi**-Finalists: *Ethan Lee, Jackson
Schwartz, Noah Schwartz, Benjamin Shapiro, Shaashwat Sharma... *Commended
Students:*  Alexander Berney, Daniel Blumenstein, Daniel Borowsky, Pedro
Caceres, Samuel Feuer, Anton Geyyer, Samantha Gilarde, Benjamin Glanz,
Stephanie Godes, Kevin Grady, Connor Healey, Julia Leshchiner, Shane
Morley, Calvin Mueller, Claudia Sesso, Danielle Shaw, Rui Ming Shen, Alon
Trogan, Michelle Veiner   We are proud of these and all of our students who
each day demonstrate a commitment to scholarship and personal growth!

As always, please feel free to contact me with any questions or comments:
 781.455.0400, extension 11203 or dan_gutekanst at needham.k12.ma.us

Have a great week!

Dan Gutekanst

Superintendent of Schools