Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.mec.edu
Fri Jun 22 09:57:47 EDT 2018

Dear Needham Public Schools Families:

Allow me to share the following updates as we conclude another school year:

*•  Student Accolades  *
* Congratulations to our awesome students  for receiving recognition and
accolades this spring:*

- In the *Tenacity Challenge* at Bedford High School
<https://www.tenacitychallenge.com/>*, *our high school students placed in
the top 10 in multiple categories as a result of the efforts of Mackenzie
Fuller, Mimi Di Carli, Stephanie Ogbebor, Sebastian Davis, Chidinma Nwodo,
and Luis Diaz.

*- National History Day State Finals   *First Place Champions were Pollard
students Grace Yonchak, Alexandra Goodale, Peter Burdick, and Emily Lucas
for their Group Exhibit featuring WWII vet, hero, and conscientious
objector Desmind Doss; they went on to compete in Washington, DC!  At the
high school level,  First Place in Performance went to Kenneth Crossman and
Zachary Sickles for their project on "The Toledo War" and Best Project in
Massachusetts History went to Avery Mathias and Kayla Talcoff for their
presentation on Boston Busing/Desegregation.

*-*  Scholastc Art Awards:   Several students, some receiving multiple
awards from the 2018 Scholastic Writing and Art Awards
<https://www.artandwriting.org/affiliate/MA001W/>, included:

*Needham High School *

Gold Key winners include Hugh Atkinson, Hannah Cisternelli, Mark Elman,
Alice Rufo; Silver Key winners include Chloe Carson,  Hannah Cisternelli,
Erin Concannon, Emma Garber, Natalie Lawrence, Rebecca Levitan, Julia Owen,
Alex Putprush, Mia Rosengard, Alice Rufo; Honorable Mention to Hugh
Atkinson, Grace Cohen, Erin Concannon, Jacob Gorenburg, Grace Li, Avery
Mathias, Avery Mathias, Jessica McEvoy, Karen Nie, Julia Ochalla, Julia
Owen, Annie Stein, Christina Yang

*Pollard Middle School*

Silver Key awarded to Maylin Carr, John Kiely,  Chess Paulina Miano,
Scarlett Munn; Honorable Mention to Margaret Berkley, Matthew Hua, Rose Ava
Jacobs, Celia Lanza

*- National Scholastic Art Awards*: Two NHS students also received
prestigious national awards: Hugh Atkinson, Photography Silver National
Award and Alice Rufo, Drawing and Illustration Silver National Award.

*- Massachusetts Instrumental and Choral Conductors Association (MICCA)
Awards*:

*Middle School Ensembles*
MS Select Choir, Gold Medal
8th Grade Treble Chorus,  Silver Medal
Wind Ensemble,  Silver Medal
8th Grade Band,  Silver Medal
Town Orchestra,  Silver Medal

*NHS Ensembles*
Symphonic Band,  Gold Medal
Concert Band,  Silver Medal
Concert Choral, Silver Medal
Orchestra,  Silver Medal

*- *Congratulations to the *Needham Speech and **Debate Team *which
came in third
place at the State Championship and finished in the top 5 at the Grand
National Tournament in Washington, DC.  Out of a huge field of
participants, Jackson Segal was named the National Champion in
extemporaneous speaking and Shayan Raza and Annie Stein also placed in
oratory and declamation.

- *NHS Athletics  *The new Unified Track Team and the Girls' Rugby Team
were both honored with the Massachusetts Interschoalstic Athletic
Association's (MIAA) Sportsmanship Award for great spirit, dedication, and
integrity.  Last evening in a heartbreaking and close Division I State
Championship match the Boys' Volleyball Team lost to Westfield, but what an
amazing run they have had all year!  And tomorrow afternoon, the Boys'
Baseball Team plays in their first-ever State Championship game vs. St.
Peter Marian at Holy Cross College!  Congrats to our student athletes and
their coaches.  *Go Rockets!!*

Congratulations to all of our students who make us proud each day!

*•  Progress Report on Equity and Inclusion * We recently shared with the
School Committee an update about our work to ensure equity, inclusion, and
access in the Needham Public Schools for all students.  The link to the
report can be found here:  Progress Report on Equity Audit
<http://www.needham.k12.ma.us/common/pages/DisplayFile.aspx?itemId=13276682>

*•  Needham Schools Spotlight*  Please check out the latest Needham Schools
Spotlight
<http://www.needham.k12.ma.us/news/what_s_new/needham_schools_spotlight> cable
show featuring a discussion about the Portrait of a Needham Graduate work
the district has initiated.

*•  Superintendent's Blog  *My recent post celebrates the NPS retirees we
recently honored at the Needham Golf Club:  Superintendent's Blog
<http://npssuperintendent.blogspot.com/>

*•  Much to be Proud of and Celebrate! * Finally, it is clear to me that
through the efforts of talented staff and the support of our parents and
the community, the District continues to thrive and focus on the growth and
development of student learning and programs:  The Equity Audit provides a
framework to continue our work to support all students... Full Day
Kindergarten planning for an anticipated September 2019 launch is moving
forward... Construction projects at the Sunita L. Williams School and NHS
are well underway...  And we have launched a major initiative to develop a
vision for our students and the District as part of our *Portrait of a
Needham Graduate *work.  It's been a busy and successful year!

Unfortunately, it has also been a year in which we experienced the loss of
three high school students, Anaya, Adrienne, and Talia and two of our NPS
colleagues, Newman teacher, Jenny Orlando and district IT technician,
George Jordan.  The loss of these wonderful and amazing young people and
caring colleagues deeply impacted students, the staff, and the Needham
community.  We continue to offer our prayers and support for their grieving
families even while we celebrate and cherish their lives.  Eleanor
Roosevelt once observed:  "Many people will walk in and out of your life,
but only true friends will leave footprints in your heart."  I know we will
forever treasure memories of their generous spirits, bright smiles, caring
friendship, and genuine love.

Now, after a long year, it's time to enjoy the summer break and have fun
with families and friends.  Please know I am proud to serve as your
superintendent and value your ongoing collaboration with and dedication to
the students and staff of the Needham Public Schools.

Thanks for your ongoing guidance, support, and generous spirit.

Respectfully,

Dan Gutekanst
Superintendent
Needham Public Schools