Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.mec.edu
Sun Feb 11 19:24:34 EST 2018

Dear Needham Public Schools Families:

It is with considerable sadness that I share with you that Needham High
School 11th grader Adrienne Garrido passed away this afternoon as a result
of the injuries she sustained from last night's traffic accident.

Saturday night's accident on Webster Street took the lives of two amazing
and loving young people, Adrienne and her friend Talia Newfield.  I am at a
loss for words at the moment, but I wanted you to know this information.

The schools and staff will be prepared tomorrow and throughout the week to
support students.  In addition, principals will provide parent resources
about coping with grief and tragedy that we hope will be helpful at this
time.  If you have a specific concern or question, please contact your
child's guidance counselor or principal.

This evening I am reminded of a quote from American poet William Cullen
Bryant who observed:  "And we wept that one so lovely should have a life so
brief."

Finally, please join me in sending our thoughts and prayers to the Newfield
and Garrido families.

Respectfully,

Dan Gutekanst
Superintendent of Schools