Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.mec.edu
Wed Aug 22 21:00:12 EDT 2018

Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Dear Needham Public School Families:

Earlier this evening Channel 5 (WCVB) reported on the resignation of a
Needham High School teacher.

Channel 5 reports that the resignation is linked to an alleged incident
earlier this summer in another town in which the teacher is accused of
offering money to a young girl to lift up her shirt.

Earlier today Channel 5 reporter Mike Beaudet did inquire about the status
of one of our high school teachers, and I informed him that it is not the
policy or practice of the Needham Public Schools to discuss personnel
matters.  However, I did inform Mr. Beaudet that the teacher in question
has resigned his position in the Needham Public Schools and that I would
have no further comment.

As you know, we prioritize student safety, security, and wellbeing in the
Needham Public Schools.  If we are ever made aware of any behavior that
would injure, hurt, or harm a child, we would deal with the situation
immediately and swiftly.  *We are aware of no circumstance in which the
teacher in question has ever jeopardized the safety or wellbeing of any
Needham Public School students. * Should we ever become aware of
concerning, inappropriate, or illegal behavior involving any staff member
(past or present), we would take immediate action, including, if necessary,
involving appropriate law enforcement officials.

I am sorry that this particular message is the only one you have received
from me this summer.  Rest assured that we are focused on preparing for
your children to return to school on Tuesday, September 4th.  The
principals, staff, and I look forward to greeting them when they arrive to
classes within the next two weeks.

Respectfully,

Dan Gutekanst
Superintendent