Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.mec.edu
Fri Apr 13 15:04:59 EDT 2018

Dear Needham Public Schools Families:

Allow me to share the following highlights and updates:

•  Student Accolades  Congratulations to our awesome students in the
Needham Public Schools for receiving recognition and accolades:

*- *In the Tenacity Challenge at Bedford High School
<https://www.tenacitychallenge.com/>, our high school students placed in
the top 10 in multiple categories as a result of the efforts of Mackenzie
Fuller, Mimi Di Carli, Stephanie Ogbebor, Sebastian Davis, Chidinma Nwodo,
and Luis Diaz.

*- National History Day State Finals   *First Place Champions are Pollard
students Grace Yonchak, Alexandra Goodale, Peter Burdick, and Emily Lucas
for their Group Exhibit featuring WWII vet, hero, and conscientious
objector Desmind Doss; At the high school level,  First Place in
Performance to Kenneth Crossman and Zachary Sickles for their project on
"The Toledo War" and Best Project in Massachusetts History to Avery Mathias
and Kayla Talcoff for their presentation on Boston Busing/Desegregation.

-  Scholastc Art Awards:   Several students, some receiving multiple awards
from the 2018 Scholastic Writing and Art Awards
<https://www.artandwriting.org/affiliate/MA001W/>, include:

*Needham High School *

Gold Key winners include Hugh Atkinson, Hannah Cisternelli, Mark Elman,
Alice Rufo; Silver Key winners include Chloe Carson,  Hannah Cisternelli,
Erin Concannon, Emma Garber, Natalie Lawrence, Rebecca Levitan, Julia Owen,
Alex Putprush, Mia Rosengard, Alice Rufo; Honorable Mention to Hugh
Atkinson, Grace Cohen, Erin Concannon, Jacob Gorenburg, Grace Li, Avery
Mathias, Avery Mathias, Jessica McEvoy, Karen Nie, Julia Ochalla, Julia
Owen, Annie Stein, Christina Yang

*Pollard Middle School*

Silver Key awarded to Maylin Carr, John Kiely,  Chess Paulina Miano,
Scarlett Munn; Honorable Mention to Margaret Berkley, Matthew Hua, Rose Ava
Jacobs, Celia Lanza

*- National Scholastic Art Awards*: Two NHS students also received
prestigious national awards: Hugh Atkinson, Photography Silver National
Award and Alice Rufo, Drawing and Illustration Silver National Award.

*- Massachusetts Instrumental and Choral Conductors Association (MICCA)
Awards*:

*Middle School Ensembles*
MS Select Choir, Gold Medal
8th Grade Treble Chorus,  Silver Medal
Wind Ensemble,  Silver Medal
8th Grade Band,  Silver Medal
Town Orchestra,  Silver Medal

*NHS Ensembles*
Symphonic Band,  Gold Medal
Concert Band,  Silver Medal
Concert Choral, Silver Medal
Orchestra,  Silver Medal

*- *Congratulations to the *Needham Speech and **Debate Team *which
came in third
place at the State Championship.  Individual awards include:  Declamation
first place, Annie Stein; Sasha Rieser, Novice state champion and Will
Conway, both placing 5th in Novice, with Zachary Lu in second place as
Varsity speaker debate; Jackson Segal has been named an Academic
All-American.  Best wishes as the team goes on to national championships in
Ft. Lauderdale and Washington, DC!

*•  Parent Survey  *In recognition of the importance of community feedback,
the Needham Public Schools will be administering the 2018 District Survey
after the school break. This biennial survey allows each school to
celebrate strengths, respond to areas needing improvement, and measure
progress toward the District Goals. We build on information gathered since
2001 and share the cumulative results with our staff, parents, and the
community.

Since the last District survey was administered in 2016, we took a number
of action steps. Here are a few examples: In response to requests for
improved transportation service, the School Committee approved funding for
the addition of school buses and a late bus; school space issues were
addressed; more STEAM programs were added; the process was launched for
community involvement in developing a Portrait of A Needham Graduate, and
so much more. Each School Council worked with staff to consider how to
respond to the survey findings as they updated their plans.

Please watch for the school-specific links to the District Survey coming to
you between April 23rd through May 7th in emails from our School
Principals. Your feedback is needed and I thank you in advance for sharing
your opinions with us. I’m hoping for 100% participation in the survey
process!

*•  Elementary Class Lists*  Over the summer weeks elementary principals
will complete class placement for the 2018-19 school year, and they will
send out a class list to parents in early July.  The class list will
include your elementary school child's name and the names of the other
students placed in your child's class.  Please understand that the
placement of any child could change depending on class size, staffing
needs, or enrollment.  If you have a question about the placement of your
child, please contact the building principal.

*•  Needham Schools Spotlight*  Please check out the latest Needham Schools
Spotlight
<http://www.needham.k12.ma.us/news/what_s_new/needham_schools_spotlight> cable
show featuring a discussion about the Equity Audit recently completed in
the Needham Public Schools.

I hope you and your families have a restful and relaxing Spring Break!

As always, you can be in touch with me via phone (781.455.0400, x203) or
email: dan_gutekanst at needham.k12.ma.us

Sincerely,

Dan Gutekanst
Superintendent of Schools