Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.mec.edu
Mon Sep 25 21:56:26 EDT 2017

Dear Needham Families:

Allow me to share the following updates:

*•  Needham High School Expansion Project*   Later this fall we will break
ground on the new Sunita L. Williams Elementary School, a construction
project that will replace Hillside.  Before then, on October 2nd, the
School Committee will ask Town Meeting to support a $14.2 million expansion
and renovation project at Needham High School to provide new and renovated
classroom and gym space for the growing enrollment at there.  If approved,
construction would begin next February and be completed in time for the
beginning of the 2018-19 school year.  The growing student population in
the District has required projects like the Sunita L. Williams School and
high school expansion to be considered.  To learn more about the project,
you may read my latest blog post:  Superintendent's Blog: Needham High
School Expansion Project <http://npssuperintendent.blogspot.com/>

*•  Equity in the Needham Public Schools*  We have hired a consultant to
assist us to better understand the racial equity issues and challenges we
may have as a district around supporting all student learners in the
Needham Public Schools. Last year, several parents raised a concern about
how students were assigned to middle school classes. More information about
the parent concern and the District's response can be found here:  Placement
Practices in the Needham Schools
<http://npssuperintendent.blogspot.com/2017/01/> and here: Supporting All
Students in the Needham Schools: Report to the School Committee
<http://rwd1.needham.k12.ma.us/news/documents/School%20Committee%20Update%20on%20Racial%20Equity%20(4).pdf>

Part of the consultant's work is to interview groups of staff, students,
and parents to learn what these groups think about the work we are doing in
the Needham Schools to assist all learners and to help us identify areas
for growth and improvement.  Parents who are interested in participating in
a focus group should contact Diane Simmons at diane_simmons at needham.k12.ma.
us for more information.  We anticipate sharing the consultant's report to
the School Committee in December or January.

*•  Bus Updates on Twitter*  There are times a bus or van can be delayed
due to road conditions or a mechanical issue.  Parents and students who
wish to receive updates about school transportation can sign on to Twitter
to receive timely, updated, and helpful alerts: https://twitter.com/Ne
edhamPSTrans  Parents and students are also encouraged to follow me on
Twitter to receive important school news and updates, including
weather-related school cancellations: https://twitter.com/NPS_Supt

* •  Job Opportunities in the NPS*  We have job opportunities for
interested folks.  Cafeteria Substitute and Teacher Assistant positions are
available now and being advertised on the District's website: Needham
Public Schools Job Postings
<http://rwd1.needham.k12.ma.us/human_resources/Employment%20Opportunities>
Please pass on!

Finally, to those observing the High Holy Days, please accept my best
wishes to you and your families!

As always, please feel free to contact me with any questions or comments:
 781.455.0400, x203 or dan_gutekanst at needham.k12.ma.us

Dan Gutekanst

Superintendent of Schools