Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.mec.edu
Sun Feb 26 20:01:04 EST 2017

*Dear Needham Families:*

*I sent the following email to all Needham High School students this
evening, and I encourage you to read and share with your younger children
as appropriate.*

*Thanks,*

*Dan Gutekanst*
*Superintendent*

February 26, 2017

Dear Needham High School Students:

Welcome back from February break!  As you return to classes this week,
allow me to share something I have been thinking about recently.

In the last several days and weeks there has been a lot of news about
stopping people from certain Muslim majority countries from entering the
U.S., deporting an increased number of undocumented immigrants, and halting
Federal support for transgender student rights in the nation’s schools.

While these actions may not directly affect each Needham student or
community member, collectively these actions and pronouncements impact us
all by sending a message that an individual is not welcome or wanted.  And
when any one individual is humiliated or demeaned, our entire sense of
community, inclusion, and respect is fractured and makes us all vulnerable
and less safe.  And that is simply unacceptable.

At a time when it seems easy to target and marginalize certain people, I
want to share a personal story.

As a young boy I once accompanied my dad to work in downtown Chicago. He
had a lot to do, but he said I could go with him as long as I didn’t bother
him or get in the way.  My father, a very serious, conservative, and busy
executive, never slowed down and was always walking and working *fast*. So
to be able to spend some time with him taking the train into the city;
clinging to his side as we rushed down a packed sidewalk; observing the
hustle and bustle of a colorful and chaotic urban scene dwarfed by
skyscrapers… well, that was pretty thrilling to a little kid like me!

As we careened down the sidewalk toward his building, my dad suddenly
halted in mid-step, causing me to stumble, and I observed him lean into a
tattered beggar who was propped against a wall with his thin and dirty hand
extended.  Dad whispered something into the man’s ears and pressed a bill
into his fingers.  Before I knew what was happening, my father grabbed my
hand, practically yanked me off my feet and then we were on our way,
darting between taxis, cops, and delivery trucks on our way to his office.

I was shocked my dad talked to a stranger *and* gave him money!  My dad,
who was serious, short on words, and self reliant—a man who brought us up
to take care of ourselves, be wary of strangers, and mind one’s own
business—my busy dad paused on his way to work and engaged, however
briefly, a man down on his luck.  I was amazed!  He didn’t talk about it;
we went to his office, and I had a great day with my dad.

Later that evening on my way to bed and still wondering about the encounter
with the stranger, I approached dad with his head buried in the newspaper
and asked him what he said to the man, how much money did he give him, and
why did he even do that?  Wasn’t he scared, I asked?  My father put down
the newspaper, looked me straight in the eye, paused, and then simply said,
“Everyone matters.”

It took me a long time to completely realize what Dad meant that day.
Eventually I understood the many lessons my parents offered me and my
siblings about caring for others, being a good citizen and neighbor, and
recognizing that all of us are connected and all are a meaningful part of
the broader community—no matter who we are—because *everyone matters*.  My
father never told me what he whispered to that stranger, but it really
didn’t matter because his simple action impressed upon me the human need to
be respected and included.

I want transgender students, students and their families whose immigrant
status is unclear, or any student who feels marginalized and targeted
because of skin color, religious belief, disability, or gender identity to
know that the Needham Public Schools has your back, and we are here to
support you.  We will not condone discrimination and if you or a classmate
ever feels the need to ask for help, I encourage you to talk to your
teachers and administrators.

A Federal order designed to keep certain immigrant groups out of the
country or the dismantling of Federal protections for transgender youth
impact real people and are clearly at odds with Needham’s core values of
community, respect, and tolerance.   While Federal officials may roll back
certain protections, the Needham Public Schools will uphold our values and
abide by Massachusetts laws which provide additional and greater
protections to ensure *all* of Needham’s youth—not just some—can attend
school and access an education in an inclusive and safe environment.  The
recent actions taken at the Federal level will have no impact on how we
continue to support transgender students.

We will support you and your families because we believe in you and know
that our school community is enriched by the contribution of each
extraordinary young person.  We also know that even if only one of us is
hurting, if only one of us feels unsafe, all of us have a responsibility to
stand up and take care.

Because we know and we believe… *Everyone Matters*.

I look forward to seeing you around school in the days and weeks ahead.

Respectfully,

Dan Gutekanst

Superintendent of Schools