Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.mec.edu
Thu Apr 13 12:07:38 EDT 2017

Dear Needham Families:

Allow me to share several updates:

*•  K-12 Fine and Performing Arts Director  *I am pleased to announce that
Ms. LeeAnn Sutton has accepted my offer to be the new K-12 Director of Fine
& Performing Arts beginning July 1, 2017. LeeAnn is currently completing
the School Leadership Program at the Harvard Graduate School of Education
where she was named a James Bryant Conant Fellow for her academic and
professional achievements.  Prior to her time at Harvard, LeeAnn has had
diverse experiences as a Music Teacher including positions with the
Cambridge Public Schools, The Longy School of Music of Bard College, The
New England Conservatory Prep School and Ithaca City School District (NY).

As a Music Teacher, she has undertaken a wide range of leadership roles at
the school, district, and community level that have prepared her to step
into the Director’s position.  She is an experienced program and curriculum
developer, has served as a teacher coach, organized and facilitated
discussions and professional development activities, produced school and
district events, and collaborated with community organizations to promote
arts education.

In May, LeeAnn will earn her Master of Education degree in School
Leadership from Harvard University.  She also holds a Master of Arts in
Music from the University of Colorado at Boulder.  Her undergraduate degree
is in Music Education and Performance from Ithaca College (NY).  With her
background and experience, LeeAnn brings a breadth of knowledge in teaching
students of diverse backgrounds as well as in developing curriculum,
promoting professional growth, developing and facilitating professional
learning experiences for teachers, strategic planning, and collaborating
with the community to enhance the learning opportunities for students.
Throughout
the interview process, she continually demonstrated thoughtfulness,
intelligence, grace, and humor.

LeeAnn is enormously impressed with the Needham Public Schools and is
looking forward to becoming part of the dynamic and student-centered
communities at each of our schools.  She is excited to be able to join the
teachers, students, and administrators who daily demonstrate a commitment
to learning and personal growth.

Let me take this opportunity to thank the many teachers, staff, and parents
who participated in the interviews, attended forums to meet the candidates,
joined us on site visits, and provided incredibly helpful feedback
throughout the process.  Please join me in welcoming LeeAnn Sutton to the
Needham Public Schools in her new role as the K-12 Director of Fine &
Performing Arts!

*•  Needham High Benefit Concert  *Several NHS a cappella singing groups,
including Fermata Nowhere, Subway Dwarves, and Treble Rebels, will join
other area high school singing groups on Saturday, April 29th at 7:30 p.m.
at Needham High School to host a concert to benefit the *Boston Center for
Refugee Health and Human Rights at Boston Medical Center. *For ticket
information:  NHS Friends of Music Benefit Concert Information
<https://sites.google.com/a/nhsfriendsofmusic.org/nhs-friends-of-music/home>
.

*•  Needham Schools Spotlight*  The latest cable broadcast, featuring an
update on the Needham High School feasibility study, is available this
evening on local TV and online at this link: Needham Schools Spotlight
<http://www2.needham.k12.ma.us/nhs/TV-nps/index.htm>

*•  Happy Passover and Easter!*  I wish you, your family, and friends a
joyful and blessed holiday.  Please also enjoy the upcoming April vacation,
and if you are traveling, be safe.

Respectfully,

Dan Gutekanst

Superintendent