Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.mec.edu
Thu Nov 17 20:20:49 EST 2016

Dear Needham Families:

Allow me to share the following updates and reminders:

*•  **5th Annual Needham Diversity Summit  *In collaboration with the
Needham Schools, Needham's 5th Annual Diversity Summit is scheduled for
this Saturday, November 19th at Pollard from 8:30 a.m. - 3:00. The summit
will bring together community leaders, friends, neighbors, and students for
an event designed to explore, foster, strengthen, and celebrate Needham's
diversity of socioeconomic status, race, sexual orientation, gender,
religion, ethnic identity, age, immigration status, and ability.  This
annual event aims to create a network of people committed to creating an
equitable and welcoming town, and to challenging its residents to think in
new ways about our evolving community.  For more information, including
registration:  Needham Diversity Initiative 5.0
<http://www.needhamdiversity.org/diversity-summit.html>

*•  New Elementary School! Full Day Kindergarten! *A huge thank you to the
Needham Community for voting last week to support the design, development,
and construction of a new elementary school on Central Avenue to replace
Hillside.  We are completely energized and excited by the opportunity the
new school creates for the Hillside community in particular and all the
schools within Needham because of the planned implementation of Full Day
Kindergarten (FDK) when the new school opens.  The School Committee
recently decided to implement FDK in each elementary school in September of
2019.  Please read more about the plan for FDK here:  Full Day Kindergarten
in Needham
<http://rwd1.needham.k12.ma.us/superintendent/documents/FullDayKindergartenReport.pdf>

*•  Needham Education Foundation - Teacher Appreciation *Please consider
contributing to the NEF by sending a *Teacher Appreciation Card*.  In this
way you will help the NEF provide funds for innovative school programing,
and you will thank a teacher or staff member for his/her work with your
child.  More information here:  NEF <http://www.nefneedham.org/>

• * Twitter:  Snow Day Updates * Setting up and managing a Twitter account
is simple and will allow you a quick, easy, and fun way to stay connected
to school news and events.  *I tweet the first notification about
weather-related school closings or delays on Twitter.* It's the quickest
and simplest way to stay informed and updated about important school news.
For more info:  https://twitter.com/@NPS_Supt
*•  Student Achievements  *Congratulations are in order for the two
Massachusetts Association of School Superintendents (MASS) Academic
Excellence Award honorees, Michael Liu and Sarah Rosenberg, both NHS
seniors.  Michael and Sarah were honored at a recent School Committee
meeting for their superb commitment to learning and academic excellence.
They clearly represent our core values around Scholarship and Personal
Growth!  At the School Committee meeting both seniors expressed their deep
appreciation for their parents' support and to all of the Needham teachers
who have guided and assisted them over the years. Congratulations, Michael
and Sarah!

Kudos also to the Needham High Girls' Swim and Dive Team for being honored
with the prestigious Massachusetts Interscholastic Athletic Association
(MIAA) Sportsmanship Award presented to the team that exemplifies good
spirit, fair play, maturity, discipline, and leadership.
Whether in the pool, in the classroom, on the field, or on the stage, our
students are talented, mature, hardworking, and poised.
Needham families and the teachers and coaches who have guided them should
rightly be proud!

*•  Happy Thanksgiving!*  Finally, let me wish you and your families a
peaceful and restful Thanksgiving holiday.  We are fortunate to live, work,
and learn in an amazing community like Needham that values children, and we
are especially blessed to be citizens in a vibrant country that serves,
however imperfectly, as a model of democracy, inclusion, and justice to the
rest of a sometimes weary world.  I know I am grateful to work with a
talented staff, committed parents, and the exceptional young people of
Needham - all of whom inspire civility, peace, and hope.  *Happy
Thanksgiving!*

As always, you can be in touch with me via phone (781.455.0400, x203) or
email: dan_gutekanst at needham.k12.ma.us
Sincerely,

Dan Gutekanst
Superintendent of Schools