Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.mec.edu
Mon Jun 13 11:43:45 EDT 2016

Dear Needham Families:

Allow me to share the following updates as we conclude another busy and
successful school year:

*•  Water Quality Testing*  Due to the increased media attention
surrounding lead in drinking water, the Town of Needham recently tested all
drinking fountains at our two oldest schools, Hillside and Mitchell.  While
there were no reported problems of lead at Mitchell, there were a couple of
water fountains where the sample was slightly above the EPA's action
level.  Those water fountains were immediately taken out of service.  Over
the summer, the Town will test all drinking fountains in each school,
including again at Mitchell and Hillside.  The Town of Needham Director of
Public Health, Tim McDonald, the Needham Schools Health Services Director,
Elaine Tengalia, and the Superintendent of Schools, Dan Gutekanst will be
available on Wednesday, June 15th at 5:00 p.m. in the Mitchell Elementary
School, Room 1 to discuss the recent water testing results from Hillside
and Mitchell.  Please join us if you have any questions about the test
results and the plans for testing water fountains in all of the District's
schools.  For complete information about the water testing, please refer to
the District's website:  Water Quality Testing Results
<http://rwd1.needham.k12.ma.us/news/documents/Information%20about%20Water%20Quality%20Testing%20Results%20%282%29.pdf>

*•  Congratulations, 2016 Retirees * At our recent Retirement Reception we
honored several NPS staff retiring at year's end.  Together they represent
over 325 years of service to our students and the profession:

*Gretchen Ayoub, Dotti Baker, Mardy Claus, Chris Faherty, Deb
Gammerman, Sheila Hamwey, Lizette Hill, Lyn Robbins-Jekowsky, Joan
Kirkman, Joan Krozy, Dianne List, Mora MacDonald, Rosanne McTernan, Chuck
Mustone, Lynne Salzman, Mike Schwinden, Deborah Watters*

We wish them well as they begin new adventures!

*•  New District Leaders  *After extensive and comprehensive search
processes involving interviews, reference checking, and site visits, we welcome
several new district administrators who will join us in the fall: *Keith
Ford*, currently a Dean of Students at Randolph High School has been
appointed as a new NHS Assistant Principal; *Trelane Clark*, the Academy
Leader at the Frederick Pilot Middle School in Dorchester, has been named
Newman's Assistant Principal; *Barbara Singer*, currently a Natick School
Nurse, has been appointed as the Director of School Health Services; *Elizabeth
Welburn*, formerly of the Concord Public Schools, will assume the Middle
School ELA Coordinator position; and *Elizabeth Zajac*, French Teacher and
Teacher Leader at the O'Bryant School of Math & Science in Boston will
become our new World Languages Director;  *Shane Marchand* will become our
new Transportation Director, replacing Sheila Hamwey who retires this
year.  We are excited to bring such talented folks to join us in the NPS;
and Hillside teacher, *Jamie Singelais *will become our new English
Language Learner (ELL) Coordinator.

*•  NEF Thank you Cards!*  As the school year draws to a close, honor a
special teacher, coach or staff person by making a donation in his or her
name to the Needham Education Foundation (NEF).  NEF Teacher Appreciation
Cards make it simple to show your gratitude, while supporting innovation
and excellence in Needham Public Schools.

​P
urchase cards at Taylor’s Stationery or Volante Farms through June 24th.
If you have questions, please contact Maureen Callahan at
mcallahan at nefneedham.org.

*•  NHS Student Achievements  *Recently, 140 NHS students were notified
that they have been recognized for their world language proficiency in
Spanish, Mandarin, Latin, and French.  These students competed in national
exams, resulting in the 140 awards, including 21 gold medals!

At the National Speech and Debate Tournament in Sacramento, the eight NHS
students participating cumulatively ranked in the top five out of 517
schools participating.

Girls' Lacrosse and Varsity Baseball enjoyed incredible seasons, each
finishing as a runner up in the state tournaments.  This Wednesday, June
15th at 7:00 p.m. at Concord-Carlisle High School, the Boys' Volleyball
Team will defend its Championship Title.  *Please come and cheer the
Rockets!*

*•  Student Leadership  *Recently I had the good fortune to sit down with a
few Pollard and NHS student leaders to talk about their roles and the
meaning of leadership.  For a sneak video preview of the conversation,
please check out:  Needham Schools Spotlight
<http://www2.needham.k12.ma.us/nhs/TV-nps/15-16/StudentLeadership.htm> .
The students are pretty amazing!

Finally, let me take this opportunity to say thank you to our parents,
staff, and all of our students for another successful year in the Needham
Schools.  Together we kept the focus on the important work:  Providing an
excellent education to the very best young people around.  Thanks for your
ongoing guidance, support, and generous spirit.

It is an exceptional honor for me to serve as your superintendent.

Enjoy the summer months with your family!

Respectfully,

Dan Gutekanst
Superinetndent
Needham Public Schools