Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.mec.edu
Tue Jan 12 14:02:00 EST 2016

Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Dear Needham Families:

Allow me to provide the following updates as we begin 2016:

*•  Focus on School Safety:  ALICE  *The School Committee recently heard a
report from NPS Director of Human Resources, Dr. Thomas Campbell, about the
District's adoption of the *Alert, Lockdown, Inform, Counter, Evacuate* or
*ALICE *safety protocol.  You may view background information and the
presentation here: School Committee ALICE Presentation
<http://rwd1.needham.k12.ma.us/superintendent/documents/ALICE.pdf>

In collaboration with Needham's Police Chief, John Schlittler, Dr.
Campbell, Pollard Principal Tamatha Bibbo, and I will host a parent
information session focused on school safety and ALICE on Wednesday
evening, February 24, 2016 at 7:00 p.m. at Broadmeadow.  Please join us for
an important conversation about school safety.  To view a brief four-minute
clip about ALICE, please click here: What is ALICE?
<http://www2.needham.k12.ma.us/nhs/TV-nps/14-15/AboutALICE.htm>

•  *School Budget Hearing*  The School Committee is currently reviewing a
proposed 5.6% increase in the budget plan for the 2016-17 school year
(FY17).  The School Committee is working closely with the school
administration, Finance Committee, and Town Manager's office to ensure
resources are available to provide a quality educational program for each
Needham student.  However, it will be a challenge to secure all the
resources needed to move school programs forward, especially as the Schools
and Town balance a variety of important educational and municipal needs.
You may view the plan and additional information about the budget on our
website: FY17 Needham Public Schools Budget Information
<http://rwd1.needham.k12.ma.us/finance/Budget#FY17>

The School Committee encourages you to attend the upcoming Budget Hearing
scheduled at 7:00 p.m. on Tuesday, January 19th at Broadmeadow to learn
more about the plan and voice your ideas, questions, concerns, and
comments.

*•  2016 Parent Survey Coming Soon!*  The Needham Public Schools conduct a
continuous process of planning, acting, evaluating and adjusting - informed
by results and feedback from our stakeholders. Your feedback is important
to our future plans so I urge you to participate in the 2016 District
Survey. This survey builds on survey information gathered since 2001 and
compares and contrasts student and staff responses with parent responses.
All the data will be aggregated at a school level and results will be
shared with parents, staff, and community members.

When last administered in 2013, the District Survey results reflected the
thoughtful responses from 52% of the parents/guardians of our students in
grades 3 to 12. Click here to review a presentation about the 2013 survey:  NPS
2013 District Survey Results
<http://rwd1.needham.k12.ma.us/student_development/documents/2013/2013%20District%20Survey%20Results.pdf>.
The
2016 survey will be arriving at your home soon, and this year we are hoping
for 100% participation!  Many thanks for your help.

*•  Join us for the MLK, Jr. Celebration!  *In partnership with the Needham
Clergy Association, Needham Human Rights Committee, and Needham Diversity
Initiative, the Needham Schools and METCO Program are proud to observe Dr.
King's legacy and life on Monday, January 18th beginning at 10:00 a.m. in
the high school's auditorium.  Please join us for reflections, song,
prayer, dance, and celebration!

*•  Superintendent's Blog * Please read my January update about the
importance of school safety and security:  Superintendent's Blog
<http://npssuperintendent.blogspot.com/>

Best wishes for a Healthy and Happy New Year to you and your families!

Dan Gutekanst

Superintendent of Schools

781.455.0400, x203

dan_gutekanst at needham.k12.ma.us