Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.mec.edu
Thu Apr 14 11:01:50 EDT 2016

Dear Needham Families:

At approximately 7:45 a.m. this morning, the Needham High School received
an automated "robocall" bomb threat.  The high school administration
followed our established protocols and immediately began working with
Needham police and fire officers who, in turn, worked with state public
safety officials to assess the situation.  It was determined fairly quickly
that this was a low level threat. Approximately 12 other school districts
received a similar call this morning.

Students remained in classes and carried on with their regular schedule.

Within an hour, and after over a dozen public safety officers and school
administrators swept the campus, the police determined that the building
was safe and classes and the school day could continue to proceed as
normal.  A few Needham police officers will remain on campus today to
provide a presence and reassure students and staff.

Thanks to the police and fire departments for their swift and exceptional
efforts, action, and guidance this morning.  The school district's ongoing
and collaborative efforts with Needham Police and Fire around student
safety certainly paid off today.  We are always in capable hands when
Needham's public safety officials are involved.

Thanks also to Dr. Barnes, the high school administration, clerical staff,
teachers, and other staff members who responded quickly and calmly to the
situation.  The district's Human Resource Director Tom Campbell and I
assisted the high school staff, and we were both incredibly impressed with
the demeanor, poise, and good spirit of teachers and students who seemed
annoyed that anything would disrupt their day.  Clearly, a strong, vibrant,
and resilient culture exists at NHS!

Thanks for your ongoing support and, as always, let me know if you have a
question or comment.  I can be reached at: dan_gutekanst at needham.k12.ma.us

Sincerely,

Dan Gutekanst
Superintendent of Schools