Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.mec.edu
Mon Sep 21 16:07:49 EDT 2015

Dear Needham Families:

*We have enjoyed a superb school opening!*  I have had the honor of
visiting dozens of classrooms in each of the schools and can share that
students are already working hard to grow, learn, and achieve.

Please allow me to share the following updates:

• * Hillside School Project Public **Hearing*    Monday, September 28th the
School Committee and Permanent Public Building Committee (PPBC)  will hold
a joint public hearing to share the various construction options for the
Hillside Elementary School.  Community members are encouraged to attend and
comment on the developing plans.  One or two of the options require the
redistricting all of the Needham elementary schools, so it is essential to
hear from all parents.  For additional information:  Hillside Feasibility
and Planning <http://rwd1.needham.k12.ma.us/Hillside_and_Mitchell_Planning/>

*•  Parent Workshops and Conferences*  The Needham Schools and parent
groups will sponsor free upcoming workshops and a lecture series:
*Needham Talks: 2015-2016 Parent Lecture Series - Promoting Supportive and
Healthy Parenting Pra**ctices*
Please join us for an exciting free series of talks focused on the
promotion of supportive and healthy parenting practices.  New York Times
bestselling authors and internationally acclaimed speakers will be visiting
our community to share their knowledge of (1) how to effectively manage
hectic lifestyles and enhance family relationships, (2) strategies for
raising authentic and emotionally intelligent girls, (3) the impact of
fathers/male role models on children's development, (4) understanding
adolescence and how to build a new relationship with your teen/tween, and
(5) how to discuss hard or sensitive topics with children. Reserve your
seats today for one, two, or all five lectures at
needhamtalks.eventbrite.com.

Special thank you to Needham Education Foundation (NEF) for funding this
lecture series.   Questions: please contact Angeline Maughan at
needhamtalks2015 at gmail.com .

Speakers & Dates:

*October 29, 2015*:  Edward (Ned) Hallowell, M.D. - *Crazybusy: Overbooked,
Overworked and About to Snap! How Parents Can Cope in a World Gone ADD*.

*December 2, 2015:*  Rachel Simmons, M.A. - *Be You: An Interactive
Workshop for Girls and Adults (Girls 8-14 years of age)*

*February 4, 2016:*  Michael Thompson, Ph.D. - *The Importance of
Fathers/Male Role Models in Children's Lives (Male-Only Event)*

*April 6, 2016:*  Joani Geltman, M.S.W. - *The Tween/Teen Years:
Understanding Adolescence and How to Build A New Relationship With Your
Child*

*June 2, 2016:*  Jeanine Fitzgerald, M.A. - *The Truth About The Hard or
Sensitive Topics*

*•  **4th Annual Needham Diversity Summit  *Needham's 4th Annual Diversity
Summit is scheduled for Saturday, October 17th at Pollard from 9:00 a.m. -
2:30. The summit will bring together community leaders, friends, neighbors,
and students for an event designed to explore, foster, strengthen, and
celebrate Needham's diversity of socioeconomic status, race, sexual
orientation, gender, religion, ethnic identity, age, immigration status,
and ability.  This annual event aims to create a network of people
committed to creating an equitable and welcoming town, and to challenging
its residents to think in new ways about our evolving community.  The
Needham Diversity Summit equips participants with the tools and confidence
to actively and thoughtfully promote respect and understanding of others in
our community by engaging with each other through open and candid
conversation.

*•  Superintendent's Blog*  I try to update my blog monthly.  My recent
posting can be found here: http://npssuperintendent.blogspot.com/

• * Twitter:  Give it a try! * A parent commented to me recently that some
folks are reluctant to have a Twitter account because it is one more thing
to manage in an already busy and hectic day.  I certainly understand.
However, setting up and managing a Twitter account is simple and will allow
you a quick, easy, and fun way to stay connected to school news and events.
 *(I know it is easy because even I can do it!) * Please follow me on
Twitter for school updates, weather-related school cancellations,
information, and photos:   https://twitter.com/@NPS_Supt

Finally, a belated Happy New Year to our families observing *Yamim Noraim,* the
High Holy Days.  Here's to a new school year for all of our students and
families filled with learning, wonder, health, and peace!
Throughout the year you can be in touch with me via phone (781.455.0400,
x203) or email: dan_gutekanst at needham.k12.ma.us

Sincerely,

Dan Gutekanst
Superintendent of Schools