Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.mec.edu
Wed Nov 25 15:47:51 EST 2015

Dear Needham Families:

Allow me to share the following updates and information as we begin a
holiday weekend:

*•  Snow Daze*  Inevitably, a New England storm will interfere with one of
our school days, and when it does I want you to know I will do my level
best to make decisions about delays or cancellations by approximately 5:30
a.m. the morning of a storm or inclement weather event, and I'll use email,
phone, television, and Twitter to alert families. For more information
about weather-related cancellations/delays: NPS: School Closing Information
<http://www.needham.k12.ma.us/documents/No%20school-2%20hour%20delay.pdf> The
fastest way to learn if there is a cancellation or delay is through
Twitter.  (You can sign on to Twitter here: https://twitter.com/@NPS_Supt ) If
it is practical to make a decision the night before, I'll certainly do
that.

It is important for students to be in classes whenever it is possible, and
I don't believe a winter storm should necessarily keep us away from
school.  If it is projected to snow three to six inches, for example, I am
inclined to hold classes.  Safety for students and staff, of course, will
always be my first consideration.  So pray for sunny days, *but break out
the galoshes just in case!*

*•*
*​  MCAS 2.0*  ​You may have heard about the State Board of Education's
decision to create a new assessment, dubbed *MCAS 2.0*, for implementation
in the spring of 2017.  Needham will continue to implement the MCAS this
spring, and we will also start to learn about and prepare for the more
robust and computer-based MCAS 2.0 assessment that will follow in 2019.  It
will be important to ensure our students are ready to demonstrate their
learning on the MCAS 2.0, especially since we have worked so hard to
integrate the Common Core into our curriculum and classroom instruction.
It is, of course, important to focus on areas of improvement and growth in
ELA, math, and science/technology as assessed by MCAS; and it is equally
essential to remember our students should not simply become good
standardized test takers but innovative and excited learners as well.
Striking a sensible balance will be our goal as teachers and administrators
collaborate to improve the growth and achievement of all students.  For