Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.mec.edu
Thu Jun 25 14:44:04 EDT 2015

Dear Needham Families:

Allow me to share a few items with you as we conclude a successful school
year:

*•  District Goals Report  *Last week the School Committee heard an update
about the progress of the 2014-15 district goals.  To review our progress,
please check out our website:  School Committee Packet and 2014-15 Goals
Report
<http://rwd1.needham.k12.ma.us/school_committee/documents/sc%20packets/2014-15/SCPACKET6-16-15F.pdf>

*•  Full Day Kindergarten Update  *The School Committee also heard a report
from the Full Day Kindergarten Committee.  The report is detailed,
comprehensive and helps outline a pathway to full day Kindergarten in
Needham:  Full Day Kindergarten Presentation
<http://rwd1.needham.k12.ma.us/news/documents/FDK_School_Committee_presentation_June_16_2015.pdf>
If you wish to read a brief FAQ and summary of the report, click here:  FAQs
About Full Day Kindergarten in the NPS
<http://rwd1.needham.k12.ma.us/news/documents/Q_&_A_DK.pdf>

*•  Hillside Feasibility Update  *This past week about 60 community members
attended an interactive forum to discuss and provide feedback on options
for a renovated or new Hillside Elementary School.  Ongoing updates will be
on our website, and I encourage you to check our ongoing progress: Hillside
Feasibility Study Updates
<http://rwd1.needham.k12.ma.us/Hillside_and_Mitchell_Planning/>

*•*
*​  Congratulations Retirees! * ​Recently we honored our retiring staff who
represent over 279 years of combined and dedicated service to the children
of the Needham Public Schools!  The school community wishes the blessings
of health and happiness in the many years ahead:  *Ann Barysh, Cathy
Heller, Chris Early, Judy Tuck, Lauras Kelly, Linda Drew, Margie Mearls,
Mary Ann Pierce, Melissa Geib, Merle Berman, Susan Misler, Phyllis Reisner,
Renee Bellin, Michele Kaminga, Sue Ellen Schwam*.

*•  Congratulations NHS Students!*  Several NHS students received accolades
recently:  The Girls' Track relay team (Kaleigh Hughes, Olivia Corkrey,
Sarah Armstrong, Margie Cullen) won first place in the New Balance National
Championship held in North Carolina last week.  Several NHS students
participated in the Grand National Speech and Debate Tournament in Fort
Lauderdale, and sophomores Ariana Orozco (ranked 8th among 211 nationwide)
and Grace Ward (ranked 13th among 221) both reached the quarterfinal rounds
because of their stellar performances.  The boys' Volleyball team clinched
the Division I State Championship at Babson College last week, and on the
same evening was honored with the prestigious Massachusetts Interscholastic
Athletic Association (MIAA) 2015 Sportsmanship Award!  Receiving both the
championship trophy and the sportsmanship award is a testament to the
strength, discipline, teamwork, and integrity of the boys and their coaches
and families.  Congratulations to all of our Needham students!

Finally, let me take this opportunity to say thank you to our parents,
staff, and all of our students for another great year in the Needham
Schools.  Together we tackled challenges and we managed to keep the focus
on the most important work we do:  providing an excellent education to the
best young people around.  Thanks for your ongoing guidance and support.

Enjoy the summer months with your family!

Respectfully,

Dan Gutekanst
Superintendent
Needham Public Schools