Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.mec.edu
Fri Jun 12 14:30:04 EDT 2015

Dear Needham Families:

As we conclude a very busy week, including the successful graduation of 387
members of the Needham High School Class of ’15, and we anticipate the last
several days of school, I write to share with you the following information.

My office has completed its investigation of a complaint regarding the
workplace conduct of Dr. Jonathan Pizzi, the former principal of Needham
High School.

*I want to emphasize that the complaint and allegations did not involve
students.*

Dr. Pizzi was placed on administrative leave April 29, 2015 after being
informed of allegations of unwanted sexual contact made by an adult
employee in the district. Dr. Pizzi declined opportunities to be
interviewed as part of the district’s formal investigation into the alleged
behavior.  The school district worked closely with legal counsel and
appropriate town officials and authorities during the investigation.

Dr. Pizzi resigned as principal on May 2, 2015.

My office concluded its investigation on May 22, 2015 and I have
determined, given the information available, sufficient evidence exists to
support the actions the District has taken in regards to Dr. Pizzi.

The school district’s investigation is now closed, and we will have no
further comment on the matter.

It’s important at this time to reiterate that our attention is on our
students’ needs, and we are moving forward as a community to concentrate on
a successful conclusion to the school year.

Dr. Joseph P. Barnes has been named the interim principal at Needham High
School effective July 1st, and he will work closely with students, staff,
and families over the summer months and into the fall to ensure a smooth
and productive opening of the new academic school year.

Finally, let me take this opportunity to thank the high school
administration, staff, and faculty for stepping forward over the last
several weeks to ensure the needs of our high school students, particularly
our recent graduates, have been the focus of their work and attention.

As always, should you have any comments or concerns, please contact me at
781.455.0400, x202 or dan_gutekanst at needham.k12.ma.us

Please take some time this weekend to enjoy the wonderful weather and
anticipate the summer days that await us.

Sincerely,

Daniel Gutekanst

Superintendent of Schools