Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.mec.edu
Fri Jan 16 15:47:21 EST 2015

Friday, January 16, 2015

Dear Needham Families:

Last evening, Pollard Middle School Principal Tamatha Bibbo emailed the
following information to all Pollard families:

*Dear Pollard Families, *

*This morning it was reported by a grade 7 student that racist graffiti was
located on a wall in the boys' locker room. Although we will be undergoing
a full investigation and are still finding out facts, I wanted to share our
information as soon as possible:*

*What we know right now:*
*1. This incident occurred between 6:00pm and 9:00pm yesterday evening.*
*2. The person(s) used a deodorant stick to complete the graffiti. *
*3. The person may or may not be a member of the Pollard community.*

*Our action steps:*
*1.  The Needham Police department has been notified and will be
interviewing specific people (including students here and at NHS, if
necessary). *
*2. We have interviewed a number of students to identify involvement and
timing of the incident.  *
*3. We will be meeting at lunches and after school with our students of
color to provide support.*
*4. The guidance team has been notified and is ready for students who may
want to talk about/ process this incident. *
*5. Leslie Smart, our METCO coordinator, in conjunction with our
administrative team, is preparing conversation starters to use in classroom
advisories as a learning opportunity *

*We encourage you to open this conversation with your son/daughter and to
process this as a serous racial incident.  It is important to note that
although this may not have been a Pollard student, we feel strongly that
words are used as weapons in situation such as these, and that we continue
to actively work towards a school community that does not tolerate any form
of hate. *

*Once again, it is important to note that this may or may not be a member
of the Pollard community; however, we want to emphasize that we care
for all of our students and members of our community.  We are saddened that
we live in a time when these incidents still occur, and we must be sure to
respond to this and all incidents with sensitivity, compassion, and
strength in the face of these unacceptable incidents.*

*In Partnership, *

*Tamatha L. BibboPrincipalPollard Middle School*

I wanted to share this message with parents and families so that you can be
made aware of the incident and know that we take these situations very
seriously.  Unfortunately, this is not the first time we have had to deal
with vicious and racist graffiti or situations; sadly, it may not be the
last.

However, working together as students, parents, and educators we will
confront this behavior to ensure we learn and work in a safe environment,
one that values all students and their families.

I appreciate the work Ms. Bibbo and her staff are doing to assist students
understand what happened in this particular situation, and I am thankful
that all of Needham's principals, teachers and METCO staff are engaged in
work and training to promote respectful and tolerant school communities.
In fact, embedded in the District's goals and each School Improvement Plan
are specific actions steps we are taking to promote and nurture culturally
sensitive and proficient practices in each of Needham's classrooms.

I can't guarantee there will never be ugly or racist incidents in the
Needham Public Schools.  Our efforts are robust but imperfect.  I can
assure you, however, that we are committed to the work of equity, respect
for all, and tolerance.

If you have any questions or concerns about this or any situation involving
your child, please reach out to your child's teacher, guidance counselor,
or principal.

Respectfully,

Dan Gutekanst
Superintendent of Schools