Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.mec.edu
Fri Apr 3 11:17:17 EDT 2015

Dear Needham Families:

Spring is here!  (I think...)  As of April 3, 2015, if there are no
additional snow or emergency days, the last day of school will be an early
release on Wednesday, June 24th.

Allow me to share the following updates:

*•  School Committee Meeting in Boston  *In their continuing efforts to
engage families and support Boston-resident students, the Needham School
Committee will hold its regularly scheduled meeting at Jeremiah Burke High
School located at 60 Washington St. in Boston on Tuesday evening, April 7th
beginning at 6:30 p.m. The agenda will include updates from high school
student groups, budget issues, and a METCO Program update.

*•  Personalized Learning: 1 to 1 Initiative  *Due to the extraordinary
efforts of the High Rock staff and strong commitment of High Rock families,
we have experienced a successful year integrating the use of an iPad into
the learning experience for 6th grade students. Next year these students
will bring their iPads to Pollard where teachers are now preparing to
implement them in the 7th grade. Eventually a 1 to 1 model of technology
and digital learning will be introduced in all grades, 6 through 12.  To
view a summary of the district's initiative:  Technology is a Tool to
Enhance Teaching and Personalize Learning
<https://drive.google.com/a/needham.k12.ma.us/file/d/0B0SuQPAK7YZDRGlrZWUxOThuQWM/view>

The School Committee has recently decided to provide iPads for all incoming
6th graders who will use the devices throughout their middle school years.
Parents who wish to provide their own iPad for 6th graders may continue to
do so.  The School Committee believes a more sustainable, manageable, and
equitable program ensures each child has access to an iPad for use 24/7 and
during the summer months.  For more information about High Rock's
program:  High
Rock Tech Resources
<https://sites.google.com/a/needham.k12.ma.us/hrtechresources/home>

*•  Hillside Building Project*  The Massachusetts School Building Authority
(MSBA) has finally approved an architect to work with the Town to determine
the feasibility of renovating or rebuilding Hillside.  While a construction
project is a couple of years away, we are clearly on a path to a new
Hillside Elementary School.  For more information about this project, look
for periodic updates on the district's website: Hillside and Mitchell
Planning <http://rwd1.needham.k12.ma.us/Hillside_and_Mitchell_Planning/>

*•  Superintendent's Blog*  My latest post, a congratulations to the NEF on
the occasion of their 25th anniversary, can be found here:  Superintendent's
Blog: March 2015 <http://npssuperintendent.blogspot.com/>

*•  Student News!  *  Several middle and high school students have recently
received accolades and awards for musical and artistic accomplishments:

–  34 middle and high school students received a total of 54 regional
awards in the 2015 Scholastic Art Awards competition, including 29
Honorable Mentions, 17 Silvers, and 8 Gold Awards.
–  The NHS Symphonic Band received the Gold Medal at the Massachusetts
Instrumental and Choral Conductors Association (MICCA) Festival and will
now be performing at Symphony Hall on April 11th at 1:30 p.m.
– The Middle School Town Orchestra (Bronze), 8th Grade Girls' Chorus
(Silver), Treble Chorus (Silver), and Wind Ensemble (Gold) also were
recognized for their hard work and talent. The Wind Ensemble will next be a
featured performer at the upcoming National Association of Music Education
Eastern Division Conference in Providence.
– NHS junior Ali Bartlett has been awarded a national Gold Key in the
Scholastic Art Awards, and she has been invited to attend the national
recognition ceremony in June at Carnegie Hall. Ali's award-winning work,
along with other Gold Key recipients, can be seen in the Globe: Scholastic
Art & Writing Awards
<http://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/2015/03/06/the-scholastic-art-writing-awards/tEYrlsZ7GDnYJpHwJGvH8K/story.html>

Congratulations to our talented and hard working students, their parents
who support them, and the teachers who have encouraged them along the way!

As always, please feel free to contact me at dan_gutekanst at needham.k12.ma.us
or 781.455.0400, x203.

Happy Passover and a peaceful Easter to you, your family, and friends!

Dan Gutekanst
Superintendent
Needham Public Schools