Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.mec.edu
Mon Sep 8 08:15:08 EDT 2014

Dear Needham Families:

Welcome to the 2014-15 school year!  I certainly hope you and your family
enjoyed a restful summer break and a smooth transition to the new academic
year.

Last week we welcomed back over 5,520 students to the Needham Public
Schools, and we successfully implemented the new schedule allowing
extended time for learning in grades K-8.  Many elementary students have
already experienced their first Spanish lesson!   have visited each school
and several classrooms, and I am impressed with the enthusiasm of our
students and the hard work of teachers and administrators who spent days
and weeks setting up classrooms and preparing for students.  You may read
my opening day remarks to staff here:  [
http://npssuperintendent.blogspot.com/ ]Superintendent's Blog

As we approach the first full week of school, allow me to share some
information and updates:

•  Needham Youth Services Programs  You are likely aware that Needham
Youth Services provides outstanding workshops, programs, and opportunities
for Needham's families and young people.  Please check out their website
for information about fall programming:  [
http://needhamma.gov/DocumentCenter/View/10182 ]Needham Youth Services:
Fall 2014

•  Emergency and Weather-Related Communication System  The school
department has deployed a notification system that will allow us to phone
and email parents about school emergencies and weather-related school
closures.  Please make sure you have updated contact information in [
https://powerschool.needham.k12.ma.us/public/ ]PowerSchool to ensure we
have the most current information for your student and family.  If you
have difficulty accessing PowerSchool, please contact your child's school.

•  School Safety  Needham's principals and staff know that attending to
student and school safety, security, and wellness is their most important
priority.  Principals and teachers review safety plans and practice
emergency responses and protocols throughout the school year.  For
example, we have already had fire drills at a couple of the schools.  As
we begin a new year, know that we will partner with Needham's public
safety officials and continue to be vigilant around student safety.
Please share ideas, concerns, or questions you may have regarding school
safety with your child's principal.

•  Twitter  Please follow me on Twitter for school updates, information,
and photos:   [ https://twitter.com/@NPS_Supt
]https://twitter.com/@NPS_Supt

Finally, allow me to extend my deep appreciation to the Needham community
for supporting last spring's operational override that resulted in
additional resources for Needham Schools.  We are excited about the new
student programming the additional funding provides.  This community
clearly values education, and your ongoing partnership, guidance, and
support allows amazing things to happen for Needham's children.  Thank
you!

Let me take this opportunity to wish each young person a successful school
year!

As always, please contact me now and throughout the year with questions,
comments, and suggestions. I can be reached at 781.455.0400, extension 203
or [ mailto:dan_gutekanst at needham.k12.ma.us
]dan_gutekanst at needham.k12.ma.us

Sincerely,

Daniel E. Gutekanst, Ed.D.