Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.mec.edu
Wed Oct 1 17:19:58 EDT 2014

Dear Needham Families:

We have enjoyed a superb school opening!  I have had the honor of visiting
dozens of classrooms in all of the schools and can share that students are
already working hard to grow, learn, and achieve.

Today was our first early release professional development day for grades
K-8, and teachers and staff were fully engaged in a variety of training
and learning opportunities in the afternoon, including:  Technology/iPad
training, literacy and math assessment development, cultural proficiency,
educator evaluation, and team building.  It was a packed agenda for our
teachers and principals.   Please allow me to share the following updates:

•  Parent Workshops and Conferences  The Needham Schools and parent
groups will sponsor upcoming workshops and a lecture series:

- Annual Middle School Conference  On Saturday November 22nd, the High
Rock-Pollard PTC is hosting its annual half-day Middle School Parenting
Conference with strategies for helping your adolescent make smart choices
and develop healthy attitudes. Mark your calendar to attend The Glass IS
Half Full: Positive Approaches to Your Middle School Parenting
Challenges for practical tips from educators, community youth leaders
and youth development experts on parenting approaches; helping teens avoid
risky behaviors; using technology responsibly; talking about sexuality;
and learning about your teen.  Registration for the half-day
conference at Pollard opens October 14. Check the PTC website for more
information:  http://www.highrockpollardptc.org/index.php?page=homepage

- Needham Talks  An exciting free parent lecture series called Needham
Talks will be open to all Needham Elementary School parents.  The series
is funded by a multi-school NEF grant entitled Fostering Resilience and
Social-Emotional Wellness in Needham’s Elementary School-Age Children:
SY2014-2015 Parent Lecture Series.  All five elementary schools will be
participating in this bi-monthly parent lecture series.  The series will
be advertised by the elementary schools through the bulletins and PTC
emails.  Registration information can be found here:
[
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/needham-talks-2014-2015-needham-elementary-school-parent-lecture-series-registration-12709523527
]https://www.eventbrite.com/e/needham-talks-2014-2015-needham-elementary-school-parent-lecture-series-registration-12709523527

•  3rd Annual Needham Diversity Summit  Needham's 3rd Annual Diversity
Summit (NDS 3.0: Join the Conversation!) is scheduled for October 18th at
Pollard from 9:00 a.m. - 2:30. The summit will bring together community
leaders, friends, neighbors, and students for an event designed to
explore, foster, strengthen, and celebrate Needham's diversity of
socioeconomic status, race, sexual orientation, gender, religion, ethnic
identity, age, immigration status, and ability.  This annual occasion aims
to create a network of people committed to creating an equitable and
welcoming town, and to challenging its residents to think in new ways
about our evolving community.  The Needham Diversity Summit equips
participants with the tools and confidence to actively and thoughtfully
promote respect and understanding of others in our community by engaging
with each other through open and candid conversation. For additional
information and registration:   [
http://www.needhamdiversitysummit.org/about-us/ ]Needham Diversity Summit

•  Needham Schools Spotlight:  2014-15 School Committee Priorities
Please check out the latest cable broadcast of Needham Schools Spotlight,
a conversation with members of the School Committee about communication
priorities and initiatives in the year ahead:  [
http://www2.needham.k12.ma.us/nhs/TV-nps/14-15/SchoolCommittee.htm
]Needham Schools Spotlight

•  School Committee Open House October 25th  The Needham School
Committee will hold its fall Open House on Saturday, October 25th at
Needham High School. The Open House will be held from 9:00 until 10:30
a.m. in the library and provides an informal opportunity for parents and
members of the community to interact with the School Committee.  The high
school's Annual Craft Fair will take place on the same day in the gyms, so
stop by the fair and then visit the School Committee for coffee and
conversation. They are eager to meet you!

•  Twitter:  Give it a try!  A parent commented to me recently that some
folks are reluctant to have a Twitter account because it is one more thing
to manage in an already busy and hectic day.  I certainly understand.
However, setting up and managing a Twitter account is simple and will
allow you a quick, easy, and fun way to stay connected to school news and
events.  (I know it is easy because even I can do it!)  Please follow me
on Twitter for school updates, weather-related school cancellations,
information, and photos:   [ https://twitter.com/@NPS_Supt
]https://twitter.com/@NPS_Supt

As always, you can be in touch with me via phone (781.455.0400, x203) or
email:  [ mailto:dan_gutekanst at needham.k12.ma.us
]dan_gutekanst at needham.k12.ma.us

Sincerely,

Daniel E. Gutekanst, Ed.D.