Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.mec.edu
Fri Jun 20 11:10:42 EDT 2014

Dear Needham Families:

Allow me to share a few items with you as the school year concludes:

•  District Goals Report  This week the School Committee heard an
update about the progress of the 2013-14 district goals.  Please look
under the News section of the NPS website to view the update and learn
more about the work of teachers, staff, and students:  [
http://www.needham.k12.ma.us/ ]http://www.needham.k12.ma.us/

•  Congratulations Retirees!  Recently we honored retiring staff members
who represent over 355 years of combined and dedicated service to the
children of the Needham Schools.  The school community wishes the
blessings of good health and happiness in the many years ahead to the
following staff:  Christine Arren, Robert Baker, Helaine Block, Christine
Brumbach, Priscilla Cahn, Arlene Camelio, Mary D’Eon, Carolina
Faricelli, Christine Hayes, Coni Hebden, Paula Hildreth, Timothy Kenslea,
Robert Lockhart, Kathleen O’Keeffe, Ann Perham, Mary Rizzuto, Jane
Shilalie, Char Sidell.

• Extended School Schedule & Program Update   Principals, directors and
teachers have been busy this spring organizing and planning for the new
elementary programming and the use of additional time to insure that
everything is in place for September.  As you may know, elementary
special area programming will expand.  The breadth of offerings and in
some instances the amount of time students are engaged in these classes
will increase.  Currently, special area programming at the elementary
level consists of physical education, art, music, and library. Next year,
we will maintain these offerings while adding Spanish (grades one to
five), music in Kindergarten, and a nine-week STEAM rotation (technology,
engineering, art/music integration in math and science) in grades one, two
and three.  Time for physical education and health/wellness will also
increase significantly.

Next year, for the first time, special area programming in all five
elementary schools will operate on a common schedule.  Rather than having
an array of 30, 45, 60 minute classes at various grade levels in each of
the special area programs, all programming at grades one through five
(except for art at grade 5) will operate on a 40 minute schedule.
Through this modification we were able to create a more balanced
distribution of program experiences for students while reducing the number
of teachers who have to travel between schools.

In addition to the extended day bringing us new programming and additional
class time, it will also provide teachers with opportunities to
collaboratively examine, reflect, adjust, and redesign teaching and
learning practices to more effectively address the needs of all
students.  Successful schools are distinguished by the frequency and
extent to which teachers discuss their practice, collaboratively design
materials, and inform and critique one another.  It is no longer only the
time spent in the classroom with students that “counts.”  This
collaboration time is not auxiliary to their teaching
responsibilities—nor is it “released time” for them.  It is central
to maintaining the quality and currency of curriculum and instruction in
our schools.  Teachers at the elementary level will have time built into
their school day, middle school teachers will have two additional after
school meetings each month, and high school teachers will be using every
Friday morning for this purpose.

As the summer unfolds, principals, directors, teachers, and other staff
members will be busy creating and modifying curriculum, finalizing
schedules, and developing plans for how collaboration time will be used.
I am particularly proud of their excellent work in crafting and
implementing a plan that provides more learning opportunities for both
students and staff.  Specific school schedules can be found here:  [
http://rwd1.needham.k12.ma.us/superintendent/documents/2014-2015SchoolStartandEndTimes.pdf
]2014-15 School Start Times. More information about the plan can be found
here:  [ http://rwd1.needham.k12.ma.us/Extended_Time/ ]Extended Time in
the Needham Schools

Finally, let me take this opportunity to say thank you to our parents,
staff, and our fabulous students for another superb year in the Needham
Public Schools.  It is clear that students and staff embody the
district's core values of Scholarship, Personal Growth, Citizenship, and
Community inside and outside the classroom!  This year I especially
appreciate the support of the community and parents for your willingness
to provide new programming for our students and time for our teachers.
The Needham community is clearly devoted to its children and schools!
It's an honor to serve as your superintendent.

Please use your summer vacation to recharge your batteries and spend time
with good friends and family.

Sincerely,

Dan Gutekanst, Ed.D.
Superintendent