Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.mec.edu
Sat Jan 18 19:33:29 EST 2014

Dear Needham Families:

Let me take this opportunity to wish you a very Happy New Year!  Allow me
also to share some important updates:

•  School Budget Hearing Tuesday, January 21st  The School Committee
is currently considering a budget plan for the 2014-15 school year
(FY15).  The budget plan addresses growing enrollment at the secondary
level by adding new teachers at the middle schools and the high school.
The proposal also includes resources for technology and classroom support
in each school. Additionally, the budget plan includes funds to support
innovation and an extended day at the elementary and middle school level
(See note below).  The School Committee is working closely with the school
administration, Finance Committee, and Town Manager's office to ensure
that resources are available to provide a quality educational program for
each Needham student. My recent blog post highlights the budget plan: [
http://npssuperintendent.blogspot.com/ ]Superintendent's Blog

The School Committee urges you to attend the upcoming Budget Hearing
scheduled for Tuesday, January 15th at 7:00 p.m. at Broadmeadow to learn
more about the budget proposal and share your comments, questions, and
concerns.  The School Committee wants to hear from parents, especially
around the need for providing and innovative program with an extended day
at the elementary and middle school levels.  It will therefore be critical
for parents, students, and the community to weigh in on the budget and
offer your perspective and voice.  You may view additional information
and an outline of the proposed NPS budget on the district's website: [
http://rwd1.needham.k12.ma.us/finance/Budget#FY14%20Budget ]FY15 Budget
Proposal

•  Innovation and Extended Learning in the Needham Schools  The Needham
Schools proposes to provide new programming at the elementary level and
extend the learning for all students in grades K through 8.  This
supplemental proposal outlined as part of the proposed budget will add new
programs and restore programs like Spanish that Needham's students
participated in several years ago.  For more information about the plan to
provide for innovation and an extended day in the Needham Schools check
out a new page, including links and FAQs, on the district's website: [
http://rwd1.needham.k12.ma.us/Extended_Time/ ]Innovation and Extended
Learning in the Needham Public Schools

•  PARCC  The Partnership for the Assessment of Readiness for College
and Career is a consortium of states, including Massachusetts, that will
pilot the next generation of tests.  The PARCC Assessments will ultimately
replace most of the MCAS our students take.  In the spring a couple of
classes in each Needham school will pilot the new PARCC Assessments prior
to a planned and complete rollout for all students in 2015.  Students and
families will receive additional information in the coming weeks.  To
learn more about PARCC:  http://www.parcconline.org/

•  Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Community Celebration  Parents,
students, and members of the community are invited to attend Monday's
(January 20th) observance of Martin Luther King Day at Needham High School
beginning at 10:00 a.m. in the school's auditorium.  Please join the
Needham Clergy Association, The Town of Needham Human Rights Committee,
and the Needham Public Schools as we celebrate the life and legacy of Dr.
King.

As always, please feel free to contact me with questions or comments.

Sincerely,

Dan Gutekanst

Superintendent of Schools
781.455.0400 x 203