Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.mec.edu
Sun Dec 21 20:40:31 EST 2014

Dear Needham Families:

Let me take this opportunity to wish you and your families a peaceful
Hanukkah and Christmas season and a Happy New Year!  Allow me also to share
a few items of interest:

•  *School Budget Hearing*  The School Committee is currently reviewing a
proposed 5.4% increase in the budget for the 2015-16 school year (FY16).
The budget plan addresses significant increases in PreK-12 special
education costs and growing enrollment at the secondary level by adding
positions at High Rock, Pollard, and the high school.  The School Committee
is working closely with the school administration, Finance Committee, and
Town Manager's office to ensure resources are available to provide a
quality educational program for each Needham student.  However, it will be
a challenge to secure all the resources needed to move school programs
forward, especially as the Schools and Town balance a variety of important
needs.  You may view the plan and additional information about the budget
on our website: FY16 Budget Documents
<http://wd1.needham.k12.ma.us/finance/Budget#FY16%20Budget>

The School Committee encourages you to attend the upcoming *Budget Hearing
scheduled at 7:00 p.m. for Tuesday, January 20th at at Broadmeadow* to
learn more about the plan and voice your ideas, questions, concerns, and
comments.

*•  New Director of Student Support Services  *At a recent School Committee
meeting Mary Lammi, who has been serving as the interim director this year,
was appointed permanently to the position of Director of Student Support
Services for the Needham Public Schools. Ms. Lammi will continue her work
with principals and staff to improve special education, guidance, and
health services as well as ensure equity and access for our METCO
students.  Mary will use her energy and experience, as well as her
considerable collaboration and communication skills, to promote high
expectations and learning for all students.  Please join me in
congratulating Mary Lammi on her appointment!

*•  Superintendent's Blog*  My recent post about School Safety can be found
on the district's website: Superintendent's Blog
<http://npssuperintendent.blogspot.com/>

Enjoy the upcoming vacation with your children!

Dan Gutekanst

Superintendent of Schools

781.455.0400, x203

dan_gutekanst at needham.k12.ma.us