Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.mec.edu
Wed Apr 30 20:44:32 EDT 2014

Dear Needham Families:

I hope the Passover and Easter holidays and April break were peaceful and
restful for your family.  Allow me to share some important updates and
information:

•  Thank You, Needham Community!  Allow me to extend my sincere
appreciation to parents and the community for voting to support an
extended day beginning next year in the Needham Schools.  An expression of
thanks and information about the new schedule can be found on my April
blog post:  http://npssuperintendent.blogspot.com/

•  iPads for High Rock  The School Committee recently approved the
launch of a new initiative designed to enhance teaching and learning at
the secondary level, beginning at High Rock.  In partnership with parents,
beginning in September 2014, 6th grade students will bring iPads to school
on a daily basis for use in the classroom and at home.  Our goal in
implementing the program is to strengthen student learning, increase
student organization and confidence, and ensure that personalized learning
experiences become routine–both for struggling students and students who
require a more challenging curriculum.    With this initiative, Needham
will join several other communities, including Weston, Shrewsbury, Natick,
Burlington, Wellesley, Millis, Hopkinton, and Bedford, all of whom are
integrating the use of iPads or laptops into the educational program to
engage students and improve the academic environment.

In order for the program to be affordable, sustainable, and lasting over
time, we need 85% of incoming 6th graders to bring their own iPad to
school or to purchase/lease one from the district.  (Families who
otherwise can't afford an iPad may borrow one from the district.)
Students will continue to use the iPad in the 7th and 8th grades.  We are
excited about this program and look forward to sharing our work and
results with the community in the coming year.  For more information about
the program, click here:  [
http://rwd1.needham.k12.ma.us/media_and_technology/iPad%20initiative
]iPads for High Rock:  Enhanced Teaching and Personalized Learning

•  Congratulations to Staff!  Needham High School teachers/coaches Cara
O'Connell (Cross Country) and Drew Lawrence (Tennis) have been named 2014
Massachusetts Interscholastic Athletic Association (MIAA) State Coach of
the Year in their respective sport.  Newman's Kerri Smith has been
selected as the MA Association for Health, Physical Education, Recreation
and Dance (MAHPERD) 2014 Teacher of the Year!  Clearly these teachers and
their peers exemplify the district's core values and commitment to
Needham's children, and we are proud of them!

•  School Transportation  2014-15  If your child requires bus
transportation next school year, be sure to complete the application by
May 15th to be guaranteed a seat on the bus and to avoid an increase in
the bus fee.  If you do not complete an application, your child may not
have a seat on the bus next year!   Please call the Transportation
Department at 781-455-0400 x234 with your questions.  Please also visit
our web site to check your school and street for eligibility or to
download an application:  [ http://rwd1.needham.k12.ma.us/transportation/
]http://rwd1.needham.k12.ma.us/transportation/

Finally, I had the pleasure of joining several Pollard teachers as one of
the chaperones on the recent 8th grade field trip to Washington, DC. We
had an outstanding experience visiting, among many different sites and
venues, Smithsonian museums, the Capitol, U.S. Holocaust Museum, Mt.
Vernon, and Arlington National Cemetery.  All of the students were polite,
enthusiastic, respectful, inquisitive, and flexible when we had to be.
They were outstanding ambassadors for Needham and a real pleasure to be
with for four days.  What can I say?  We simply have superb young people
in the Needham Public Schools!  Thanks for sharing them with us.

As always, I can be contacted via email:  [
mailto:dan_gutekanst at needham.k12.ma.us
]dan_gutekanst at needham.k12.ma.us  or by phone 781.455.0400, x203.

Have a great week!

Sincerely,