Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.mec.edu
Fri Sep 6 14:42:04 EDT 2013

Dear Needham Families:

Welcome to the 2013-14 school year and Happy Rosh Hashanah to our families
celebrating the Jewish New Year!  I certainly hope you and your family
enjoyed a restful summer break and a smooth transition to the new academic
year.

This week we welcomed over 5,500 students into the Needham Public Schools
and once again this year our enrollment is up. I have visited each school
and several classrooms, and I am impressed with the enthusiasm of our
students and the hard work of teachers and administrators who spent days
and weekends setting up classrooms and preparing for your children.

As we head into the weekend and the first full week of school, allow me to
share some information and updates:

•  Emergency and Weather-Related Communication System  The school
department has deployed a notification system that will allow us to phone
and email parents about school emergencies and weather-related school
closures. Please make sure you have updated contact information in [
https://powerschool.needham.k12.ma.us/public/ ]PowerSchool to ensure we
have the most current information for your student and family.  If you
have difficulty accessing PowerSchool, please contact your child's school.

•  School Safety  Needham's principals know that attending to student
and school safety is their first and most important priority.  As a
district and community we take school security very seriously, and we also
collaborate closely with the Needham Police and other public safety and
health officials to review plans and procedures to maximize school safety
and security.  Principals and teachers review, plan, and practice
emergency responses and protocols with students and staff throughout the
year.  As we begin a new year, know that we will continue to be vigilant
around student safety.  Please share with your child's principal any
questions, concerns, or suggestions you might have to ensure your child'
experience at school is healthy and secure.

•  Needham Youth Services Programs  You are likely aware that Needham
Youth Services provides outstanding workshops, programs, and opportunities
for Needham's families and young people.  Please check out their website
for information about fall programming:
 http://www.needhamma.gov/index.aspx?NID=79

•  Online Fee Payments  Parents may now make online fee payments for
Transportation, School Lunch, and High School Athletics.  For more
information:  [
https://www1.mcc.net/OneSource/OSPayer/ePayer_Login.aspx?DID=W/omnUnBLYUC0ykET4E89bs7SCc5meMw1npJ3Eaeof29NSv0c+txdDAUrgeiv8Ra
]Needham Public Schools Online Fee Payment

•  Stay in Touch This Year!  You may find the Superintendent's Blog
here:  [ http://npssuperintendent.blogspot.com/
]http://npssuperintendent.blogspot.com/    And you can follow me on
Twitter as well:  https://twitter.com/@NPS_Supt

Let me take this opportunity to wish each young person a successful school
year!

As always, please contact me now and throughout the year with questions,
comments, and suggestions. I can be reached at 781.455.0400, extension 203
or [ mailto:dan_gutekanst at needham.k12.ma.us
]dan_gutekanst at needham.k12.ma.us

Sincerely,

Daniel E. Gutekanst, Ed.D.