Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.mec.edu
Mon May 6 13:00:24 EDT 2013

Dear Needham Families:

•  School Security  Many thanks to parents who have adjusted to a new
procedure in our elementary and middle schools where we now use a
buzzer/video recognition system to admit visitors once the school day has
begun.  So far the new system seems to work well and helps promote school
and student safety.  The sign in desk at the high school’s main entrance
has also helped the staff there to manage and assist school visitors.

In our continuing efforts to ensure our elementary schools are safe,
beginning next Monday, May 13th we will implement a new protocol after
4:00 p.m. when the school offices close and most students have departed
for the day.  A few after school programs, including Needham Community
Education (NCE) and the Needham Extended Day Program (NEDP), continue to
operate in our schools, sometimes into the evening.  After 4:00 p.m. the
school doors will remain locked and visitors to the schools will only be
admitted by the appropriate NCE or NEDP staff.  The goal is to ensure the
schools are secured, allowing NCE and NEDP staff to concentrate on
providing quality after school care for students rather than focusing
their attention and efforts on building security.

Of course, locked doors may inconvenience some parents who wish to walk
right into the building and to a classroom to escort their child to and
from an after school program. The staff is aware of the new protocol and
will communicate with parents about appropriate pick up and drop off
procedures that balance parent access with student safety.  We will
evaluate the new protocol at the conclusion of school in June to determine
what adjustments may be necessary for next year.  I appreciate your
patience, understanding, and support while we implement this new safety
procedure in our elementary schools.

•  Needham Community Farm  The NCF is a local non-profit organization
that has partnered over the last few years with the Needham Schools to
provide educational experiences for our students both at their site at
Newman and at Nike (located off Pine Street).  The NCF has many community
and educational programs, and I encourage you to learn more about them by
visiting their website:  http://needhamfarm.org/

•  School Transportation  2013-14  If your child requires bus
transportation next school year, be sure to complete the application by
May 15th to be guaranteed a seat on the bus and to avoid an increase in
the bus fee.  If you do not complete an application, your child may not
have a seat on the bus next year!   Please call the Transportation
Department at 781-455-0400 x234 with your questions.  Please also visit
our web site to check your school and street for eligibility or to
download an application:  [ http://rwd1.needham.k12.ma.us/transportation/
]http://rwd1.needham.k12.ma.us/transportation/

•  Superintendent's Blog  My recent post about my trip to the Daxing
School District in Beijing can be found here:
http://npssuperintendent.blogspot.com/

As always, I can be contacted via email:  [
mailto:dan_gutekanst at needham.k12.ma.us
]dan_gutekanst at needham.k12.ma.us  or by phone 781.455.0400, x203.

Have a great week!

Sincerely,