Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.mec.edu
Wed Jan 9 14:19:04 EST 2013

Dear Needham Families:

Let me take this opportunity to wish you a very Happy New Year!  Allow me
also to share two important updates:

•  School Budget Hearing Tuesday, January 15th  The School Committee
is currently considering a 6.48% increase in the budget for the 2013-14
school year (FY14).  The budget plan addresses growing enrollment at the
secondary level by adding new teachers at the middle schools and the high
school. The proposal also provides funding to strengthen math instruction
at the elementary level and includes additional resources for technology
and classroom support. The School Committee is working closely with the
school administration, Finance Committee, and Town Manager's office to
ensure that resources are available to provide a quality educational
program for each Needham student. However, providing adequate resources
for the schools has become increasingly challenging, especially when
local, state, and Federal revenues are uncertain.  My blog posting shares
some of the challenges we are facing this budget season:  [
http://npssuperintendent.blogspot.com/ ]Superintendent's Blog

The School Committee urges you to attend the upcoming Budget Hearing
scheduled for Tuesday, January 15th at 7:00 p.m. at Broadmeadow to learn
more about the budget proposal and share your comments, questions, and
concerns.  The School Committee wants to hear from parents, especially
around the need for additional classroom teachers and whether or not the
School Committee should increase school bus transportation fees due to
rising costs for bus service.  It will be critical for parents, students,
and the community to weigh in on the budget and offer your perspective and
voice.  You may view additional information and an outline of the
proposed NPS budget on the district's website: [
http://rwd1.needham.k12.ma.us/finance/Budget#FY14%20Budget ]FY14 School
Budget Proposal

•  High School Parent Conference  It's not too late to sign up for what
promises to be an outstanding parent conference scheduled for this
Saturday, January 12th at Needham High School.  A sneak preview:  Keynote-
"Befriending Fear: Building Resilience to deal with Teenage Anxiety" Dr.
Ron Siegel, Clinical Psychologist, Harvard Medical School. Adolescence is
a time of many transitions, and transitions often cause anxiety. Learning
to address fears can help our children successfully navigate the often
choppy waters of the teenage years. This presentation will offer an
alternative to traditional strategies such as avoidance, distraction,
perfectionism and self-medication.

After the Keynote Address, parents can choose from 3 of 12 parent
workshops.
Register now:
http://www.eventbrite.com/event/2471040950

Link for detailed description of the Keynote and each workshop:
https://sites.google.com/site/needhamhighschoolptc/parenting-conference

As always, please feel free to contact me with questions or comments.

Sincerely,

Dan Gutekanst

Superintendent of Schools
781.455.0400 x 203