Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.mec.edu
Sun Apr 21 20:54:53 EDT 2013

Sunday, April 21st  8:45 p.m.

Dear Needham Families:

As we approach the beginning of a new week, let me take this opportunity
to reassure you that we are prepared for a full day of classes tomorrow
and will be able to provide the support some of our students may need to
cope with last week's bombing at the Boston Marathon and its aftermath.
Please know that we will be ready to respond to any students who raise
questions or who seem to be having any difficulties related to what
occurred.  Parents who are concerned about their child or whose family
has been affected by the tragedies should contact the school so that we
can help your child.

The following document, entitled A National Tragedy: Helping Children
Cope, may provide parents and all caring adults with some ideas and age
appropriate responses to recent events:  [
http://www.nasponline.org/resources/crisis_safety/terror_general.aspx
]http://www.nasponline.org/resources/crisis_safety/terror_general.aspx

I learned of last week's events while I was traveling with Broadmeadow
Principal Emily Gaberman to Beijing, China to visit schools in the Daxing
School District where we are working to establish a formal partnership
between our schools.  Initially our Chinese hosts expressed concern and
sympathy for the terror attack and the deaths and injuries.  They wanted
to make sure we were OK and did we know anyone who might have been
directly impacted. We quickly learned, however, that a Chinese graduate
student, whose family lives outside Beijing, was one of three bystanders
killed.  It was our turn to express sympathy to our Chinese hosts and
provided an opportunity for all of us to recognize our common humanity and
connection to one another even though we were half a world away from a
horrific incident that nevertheless hit close to home.

Now more than ever let's also work together to ensure that no group,
ethnic or religious, is blamed or targeted for the evil and malevolent
acts of one or two insidious individuals.  Our hearts, thoughts, and
prayers go out to the victims and their families.

Let us know if we can assist your child or family.

Sincerely,

Dan Gutekanst
Superintendent of Schools