Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.mec.edu
Thu Sep 6 16:33:54 EDT 2012

Dear Needham Families:

Welcome to the 2012-13 school year!  I certainly hope you and your family
enjoyed a restful summer break and a smooth transition to the new academic
year.
This week we welcomed back almost 5,500 students into the Needham Public
Schools, and we successfully re-opened Newman on time and within the
planned budget.  Please check out the [
http://npssuperintendent.blogspot.com/ ]Superintendent's Blog to learn
more and see photos of the project.  I have visited each school and
several classrooms, and I am impressed with the enthusiasm of our students
and the hard work of teachers and administrators who spent days and
weekends setting up classrooms.

As we approach the first full week of school, allow me to share some
information and updates:

•  Needham Youth Services Programs  You are likely aware that Needham
Youth Services provides outstanding workshops, programs, and opportunities
for Needham's families and young people.  Please check out their website
for information about fall programming:
http://www.needhamma.gov/youth/2012fallprograms

• 2012 Performance Report (PR)  The 2012 NPS PR has been mailed out and
will arrive in your home shortly. The report provides detailed information
about Needham's schools, programs, and student achievement. We are very
proud of the report and hope you find it valuable and useful.

•  Hillside and Mitchell Planning  A new information page on the NPS
website provides links and updates about planning for renovations and/or
construction at Hillside and Mitchell.  Please check it out:
http://rwd1.needham.k12.ma.us/Hillside_and_Mitchell_Planning/

•  Emergency and Weather-Related Communication System  The school
department has deployed a notification system that will allow us to phone
and email parents about school emergencies and weather-related school
closures.  Please make sure you have updated contact information in [
https://powerschool.needham.k12.ma.us/public/ ]PowerSchool to ensure we
have the most current information for your student and family.  If you
have difficulty accessing PowerSchool, please contact your child's school.

•  Needham Education Foundation  The NEF, which over the years has
supported over 400 enrichment grants in our schools, was chosen to be part
of the 2012 Chase Community Giving program. As a nominee, the NEF now has
the opportunity to win up to $250,000 by getting the most votes on
Facebook starting September 6th through September 19th.  I encourage you
to cast your vote before then at [
http://www.facebook.com/chasecommunitygiving
]www.facebook.com/chasecommunitygiving to help the NEF continue to fund
programs that add value to your child’s education in the Needham Public
Schools.  Chase awards will range from $10,000 to $250,000. It’s a
win-win, because all the money that the NEF brings in goes right back out
to our students. Please vote today! You can learn more at [
http://www.nefneedham.org ]http://www.nefneedham.org.

Let me take this opportunity to wish each young person a successful school
year!

As always, please contact me now and throughout the year with questions,
comments, and suggestions. I can be reached at 781.455.0400, extension 203
or [ mailto:dan_gutekanst at needham.k12.ma.us
]dan_gutekanst at needham.k12.ma.us

Sincerely,

Daniel E. Gutekanst, Ed.D.