Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.mec.edu
Tue Oct 30 05:22:21 EDT 2012

Tuesday, October 30, 2012  5:21 a.m.

Dear Needham Families:

As you may know by now, school has been canceled in Needham today,
Tuesday, October 30th.

I made the decision after driving around town early this morning and after
consulting with public safety folks.  While most of the town is safe and
has power, there are isolated areas of no power, including one or two key
intersections.  In addition, downed lines on a couple of elementary school
sidewalks and near High Rock and Pollard will make some, part, or all of
those campuses inaccessible until work crews take care of limbs and lines.

When I was at the scene of these downed lines at 4:00 this morning, there
were no signs of any utility trucks working, so I have assumed they will
not be working in time for a safe, orderly, and trouble free morning
commute.

Like you, I am very disappointed we are not having school today, but I had
to act with an abundance of caution.

I hope our students will take every opportunity to catch up on schoolwork
and spend some time reading today in preparation for a full day of classes
tomorrow.

Stay safe and warm.

Sincerely,

Dan Gutekanst