Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.mec.edu
Sun Nov 25 12:03:00 EST 2012

Dear Needham Families:

Allow me to share a few updates as we conclude the Thanksgiving Holiday
and begin a new week:

•  NEF Symposium  I am encouraging Needham parents to attend a unique
conversation and discussion to be held at Newman.  This week the Needham
Education Foundation (NEF)  is sponsoring a symposium entitled:  Flipped
Classrooms and Broken Silos:  Education Trends in Needham and Beyond on
Wednesday evening, November 28 at 7:00 p.m. at Newman.  Educators,
business leaders, and students will participate in a discussion about 21st
Century trends in education.  Robert Martello (Olin College), Mark
Somerville (Olin College), Kirby Salerno (Co-founder Classroom Window),
Mark Chang (Director of Product edX), and Leah Alpert (NHS alum and MIT
student) will all participate on a panel discussion followed by a dessert
reception.

The program will provide a great opportunity to learn more about and
discuss some of the ideas, issues, and trends we see as important in
Needham's classrooms.  For more information and to register:
http://www.nefneedham.org/

•  District Goals  The School Committee recently approved ambitious
goals for the school year.  You may download the goals statement by
clicking on the appropriate link under the "News" section of the
district's homepage:  http://www.needham.k12.ma.us/

•  A Conversation for Parents of Teens  Needham Youth Services presents
a discussion entitled:  “What a parent needs to know about teen risk
taking behaviors” and is scheduled for Tuesday, December 4th.  This
program runs from 5:30 – 7:30 pm and a light dinner will be served.
This interactive program is limited to nine (9) parents a night where
participants hear/share stories and receive feedback in a comfortable and
confidential setting. Registration information can be found online at [
http://www.needhamma.gov/youth/2012fallprograms
]www.needhamma.gov/youth/2012fallprograms (see page #5).  Learn more about
this program and other upcoming nights and topics at:
www.needhamma.gov/youth/aconversation

•  Soccer and West Side Story  Congratulations to the NHS boys' soccer
team for winning the Division I State Championship at Worcester State
University.  Our young men won the game with great skill, athleticism, and
sportsmanship, the very same qualities they exhibited all season.  Kudos
also to the NHS cast and crew of West Side Story which played to sold out
houses last weekend and raised thousands of dollars for the It Gets Better
Foundation, an organization devoted to supporting gay and lesbian youth.
Have a great week at work and school!

Sincerely,

Dan Gutekanst
Superintendent of Schools