Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.mec.edu
Wed Jun 20 18:38:38 EDT 2012

Dear Needham Families:

Now that the school year has concluded and summer is upon us, allow me to
update you on a few items:

•  District Goals Report  Last evening, the School Committee heard an
update about the progress of the 2011-12 district goals.  Please look
under the News section of the NPS website to view the update and learn
more about the work of our teachers, administrators, students, parents,
and community members as we collaborate to support the Needham Schools:
http://www.needham.k12.ma.us/

•  Student Leadership and Service  Recently, several Needham High School
students were featured on the [
http://www2.needham.k12.ma.us/nhs/TV-nps/index.htm ]Needham Schools
Spotlight Cable Show discussing their leadership and community service
within the high school and community.  I encourage you to take the time to
watch and learn about the exceptional work of our students.

•  Newman Update  The Newman renovation and repair project is moving
forward on schedule and will be ready for students in the fall.  Today,
just one day after students and staff left the building, the modular
classrooms are already being dismantled and the driveway and parking lots
rebuilt!  It has been a very long and often tedious process for the
students, staff, and parents as we worked with the Town to renovate the
building and replace the heating and ventilation systems there.  I
appreciate the tremendous teamwork, resilience, patience, and good humor
of the Newman community as this project has unfolded over the last four
years.  The entire Newman campus and school is closed for the summer due
to construction and we ask community members to avoid the site while final
work is underway.  The Ms. Peterson, Mr. Bayse, and the Newman office
staff will be temporarily located at the Eliot School this summer.

•  New Assistant Special Education Director (PreK-8)  I am pleased to
announce that Mr. Paul Tzovolos has accepted my offer to be Needham's
Assistant Special Education Director in grades PreK-8.  Paul is currently
the assistant principal at the Goode School in Middleborough where he also
worked as a special education facilitator and teacher.  Paul has
experience as a middle school special education teacher in Walpole and
West Roxbury, and he received both his BA and M.Ed. at Boston College.
More recently, Paul earned his CAGS in Educational Administration at
Bridgewater State College.  Paul brings with him many strengths
tailor-made for this new position:  superb communication, organizational,
and data-driven decision-making skills as well as a quiet but strong
passion for student learning and growth.  Paul is smart, eager to learn,
and keen to make an impact on student achievement and special education
service delivery in our classrooms and schools.  Paul has a strong work
ethic, and he is ready to begin a new chapter in his career in the Needham
Public Schools working with the staff and as part of our new PreK-8
Special Education Director's team.

• Congratulations Boys' Tennis!   Last week the NHS boys' tennis team,
under the careful guidance of math teacher and Coach Drew Lawrence, won
another Division I State Championship, again versus St. John's
(Shrewsbury)!  Additionally, at the outset of the championship match, the
coach and tennis team were honored to receive from the Massachusetts
Interscholastic Athletic Association (MIAA) the prestigious 2012
Sportsmanship Award, which is awarded to only one team in the state.  It
is a huge accolade and a real testament to the integrity, honor, fair
play, and sportsmanship our athletes displayed throughout the season.
Congratulations to the outstanding young men on our tennis team!  They
represent the best of our students!

•  Superintendent's Blog  You may find my latest posting (a salute to
volunteers in the Needham Schools) here:
http://npssuperintendent.blogspot.com/

Finally, please know that I continue to be so impressed with Needham's
young people and the work they have accomplished.  Of course, we
recognize that parents are their first and most important teachers, and we
appreciate all you do to support our efforts in the classroom and
schoolhouse.  As I visit the schools, I observe enthusiastic and confident
students who are eager to share their knowledge and help one another. It
is clear that they embody the district's values of Scholarship,
Citizenship, Community, and Personal Growth inside and outside of the
classroom.

I am very proud to be your superintendent of schools!

Best wishes for a safe and healthy summer with your family and friends.

Sincerely,

Dan Gutekanst, Ed.D
Superintendent

dan_gutekanst at needham.k12.ma.us