Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.mec.edu
Fri May 27 15:28:05 EDT 2011

Dear Parents and Guardians:

Allow me to share a few updates as we conclude the week and prepare for
the upcoming holiday:

•  School Leadership  I am pleased to announce that after three extensive
and thoughtful search processes this spring involving many staff, parents,
and students, I have appointed three exceptional individuals to the
following school leadership positions:

Newman Assistant Principal - Greg Bayse, currently a guidance counselor at
Eliot, will become the new assistant principal replacing departing Mark
McAneny who was appointed to a principal position in the Arlington Public
Schools. Greg has been serving as an “unofficial” assistant principal at
Eliot school for some time now, and his extensive background in social and
emotional learning, special education, and instruction make him a
wonderful addition to the Newman team.

Needham High School Assistant Principal - Alison Coubrough-Argentieri,
currently an administrator at Swampscott High School, will become the new
assistant principal at NHS. She will replace Tamatha Bibbo who is moving
to London with her family.  Alison's strong teaching background and her
thoughtful and intelligent instructional and organizational leadership in
Swampscott helped the interview team recognize her as a clear choice for
this important role.

Pollard Principal - Lisa Chen will become the new principal at Pollard
Middle School, replacing Glenn Brand who has accepted the position of
assistant superintendent in the Sharon Public Schools.  Lisa is currently
serving as an assistant principal in the Attleborough Public Schools where
she has helped shape and lead student achievement efforts and has promoted
teamwork and a strong spirit of community at Wamsutta Middle School.  Lisa
began her teaching career in rural Texas in the Teach for America program.
She has received various professional accolades, including the Donald J.
White Award for Teaching Excellence at Boston College where she recently
earned her doctorate in Educational Administration.

During the interview process it became quite clear that the district's
core values of Scholarship, Personal Growth, Community, and Citizenship
were consistent with the beliefs and values of Mr. Bayse, Ms.
Coubrough-Argentieri, and Dr. Chen.   I am very excited to have these
talented folks join an already strong and vibrant team of Needham teachers
and school administrators.  Please join me in welcoming our newest leaders
to the Needham Public Schools!

•  Massachusetts Department of Education (DESE) Survey  The DESE selected
Needham to participate in a survey to gauge parent involvement and
participation.  The DESE invites you to complete an online parent survey
which is designed to be shared with the Needham Schools.  The DESE wants
to know about the efforts made by your child’s school to help you feel
welcome as a partner in the planning for your child’s education.  You may
access the ten-minute survey here:  [ http://www.maparentsurvey.com
]http://www.MAparentsurvey.com

•  Substance Abuse Prevention Survey  The Needham Coalition for Youth
Substance Abuse Prevention (NCYSAP) in collaboration with the Needham
Public Health Department is surveying parents of 6th 12th graders living
in Needham to learn more about their personal beliefs and perceptions
regarding underage drinking and substance use in the community. Please
take a few minutes to take part in this anonymous online survey and
contribute your voice to those of other Needham parents:
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/NeedhamParentSurvey2011  Results will be
shared in the community through the NCYSAP once responses have been
tabulated. If you have any questions, please contact Carol Read, Needham
Public Health Department at cread at needhamma.gov

Please enjoy a great weekend with your families!  As always, please feel
free to contact me with questions or comments.

Sincerely,

Dan Gutekanst

Superintendent of Schools
781.455.0400 x 203