Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.mec.edu
Fri Jun 17 17:57:11 EDT 2011

Dear Parents and Guardians:

As the year concludes, allow me to update you on a few items:

•  Newman/Pollard Repairs   We will undertake a major renovation of the
Newman Elementary School this summer and into next year.  The first of 38
modular classrooms arrived this week and will soon be placed in the
school's parking lot to create sufficient space for Newman's 1st through
5th grade students and staff while the main school building is renovated
and repaired.  Newman's preschoolers and Kindergartners will be located at
Pollard for one year.  A new Pollard roof, modular renovations, and
parking improvements on that campus are also planned for this summer.  The
Newman and Pollard campuses will be squeezed for space next year, but when
the repairs are complete, both schools will be improved.  Plans for
additional building improvements/renovations at Pollard, Hillside, and
Mitchell will be shared with the School Committee next week.  For complete
information about the planned renovation at Newman:
http://rwd1.needham.k12.ma.us/newman_renovation_updates/

•  Substance Abuse Prevention Survey  The Needham Coalition for Youth
Substance Abuse Prevention (NCYSAP) in collaboration with the Needham
Public Health Department is surveying parents of 6th 12th graders living
in Needham to learn more about their personal beliefs and perceptions
regarding underage drinking and substance use in the community. Please
take a few minutes to take part in this anonymous online survey and
contribute your voice to those of other Needham parents:
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/NeedhamParentSurvey2011  Results will be
shared in the community through the NCYSAP once responses have been
tabulated. If you have any questions, please contact Carol Read, Needham
Public Health Department at cread at needhamma.gov

•  Congratulations Retiring Staff! At a recent retirement celebration we
acknowledged the combined 177 years of service of eight of our teachers
and staff members in the Needham Public Schools:  Darlene Fisk, Margie
Margolis, Vonnie Fernandes, Joyce Silberman, Doug Levy, Susan Abrahamson,
Robin Kirsch, and Ruth Morini.  As our retiring teachers and staff
conclude their years of service to Needham's students, we wish them the
blessings of good health and happiness in the years ahead.

•  Student Scholarship and Learning  Congratulations to the 320 members of
the NHS Class of '11 who received their diplomas under a cloudless sky
June 6th on Memorial Field.  We wish our graduates well as they head off
to college and new adventures.  A special word of thanks and
congratulations to Jonathan VanderWoude and the NHS chorus for their
performance under the direction of Keith Lockhart at last weekend's Boston
Pops Concert.  Our students performed brilliantly to a sellout crowd of
over 2,000 as part of the Town's Tercentennial celebration.  The story and
photos here:  [
http://needham.patch.com/articles/needham-enjoys-a-night-at-the-pops#photo-6624419
]Needham Patch:  NHS Chorus Celebrates 300th at the Pops

•  Boys Tennis State Champs!  The NHS boys' tennis team won their first
Division I title yesterday in Northboro beating St. John's (Shrewsbury)
5-0.  Not only are these young men outstanding athletes, they are
exceptional students and first class gentlemen.  Thanks also to Coach Drew
Lawrence for leading them throughout the season.

Finally, like you, I continue to be so impressed with Needham's young
people and the work they have accomplished this year.  Of course, we
recognize that parents are their first and most important teachers, and we
appreciate all you do to support our efforts in the schools.  As I visit
the schools, I observe enthusiastic and confident students who are eager
to share their knowledge and help one another. It is clear they embody the
district's values of Scholarship, Citizenship, Community, and Personal
Growth inside and outside of the classroom.

I am very proud and honored to be your superintendent of schools!

Best wishes for a safe and healthy summer with your family and friends.

Sincerely,

Dan Gutekanst, Ed.D
Superintendent
781.455.0400, x203