Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.mec.edu
Sun Dec 11 21:20:00 EST 2011

Dear Needham Families:

I have received some inquiries from parents about holiday gifts to
teachers and staff and thought it would be helpful to remind you of
guidelines I sent last year at this time.

Over the years, Needham parents have proven to be extremely thoughtful and
generous when it comes to thanking teachers and other staff for their work
with their children.  Unfortunately, gift giving has become more
complicated each year, and now specific state ethics laws, policies, and
regulations prohibit all staff (including teachers, aides, athletic
coaches, crossing guards, bus drivers, administrators, etc.) from
receiving even small tokens of appreciation without the staff member
filing an official disclosure of the gift.  The Massachusetts State
Ethics Commission allows the following:

•  A teacher may receive one class gift of up to $150 in value once per
year from the class as long as it is clear that the gift is from the
entire class and not just a few students in the classroom.  Any gift in
excess of $150 to the teacher is prohibited by law.

•  A teacher or staff member may receive a gift of up to $50 in value
from an individual student/family who did not contribute to the class gift
in the example above as long as the staff member files a disclosure form
with the school system.  Any gift, including gift cards, jewelry,
tickets, clothing, beverages, etc., over $50 in value is prohibited by
law.

•  Staff members may receive perishable items (e.g., food, flowers) up
to $50 in value as long as the staff member shares the item(s) with
members of the school community.  These items do not need to be disclosed
by the teacher.

•  Parents may show their appreciation to individual teachers/staff
members by making a donation to the school's PTC or even to the Needham
Education Foundation (NEF).  In turn the PTC may provide funds for an
educational gift to the classroom, and the NEF provides funds for
innovative educational programs.  These organizations have
well-established procedures for the distribution of funds to schools and
individual classrooms, and such donations are not affected by either
School Committee policy or the State Ethics Commission rules. If you make
a donation to the PTC or NEF in a staff member's name, that staff member
does not need to file a disclosure.

Rules and policy aside, it should be noted that the generosity of some
individuals and groups has also raised questions as to the appropriateness
of holiday and end-of-year gifts to staff.  While saying thank you to a
teacher or school employee who has had a profound influence on a child is
commendable, I am concerned that there may be an expectation that staff
gifts are required at certain times of the school year. That is certainly
not the case, and I want to be very clear on this point.  While I believe
expressions of appreciation and letters or notes thanking people are
highly treasured by the staff, no family or individual should feel
obligated or pressured to do anything more for a school employee.

I am not attempting to discourage gift giving or saying thank you to a
special employee. Rather, my purpose is to point out the state law and
enlist voluntary compliance with these requirements.  Parents with
questions are encouraged to speak with the principal or call me directly.

Many thanks for your help, cooperation, and good spirit!

Sincerely,

Dan Gutekanst, Ed.D.

Superintendent of Schools
781.455.0400, x203