Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.mec.edu
Wed Sep 1 15:36:14 EDT 2010

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Dear Parents and Guardians:

Welcome to the 2010-11 school year! I hope your family enjoyed some time
together this summer to rest and relax.

We have had a wonderful opening to the new school year.  Teachers were
ready, buildings were clean, and your children arrived with eager smiles
and plenty of energy for the year ahead.  Please allow me to share a few
updates as we begin a new school year together:

• 2010 Performance Report  has been mailed out and should already be in
your home. The report provides detailed information about Needham's
schools, programs, and student achievement. We are very proud of the
report and hope you find it valuable and useful.

•  The Newman Elementary School Community welcomed a new principal,
Jessica Peterson, who has been meeting with staff this summer and
preparing for a new year.  The Newman repair project started with
prepatory work in the building and parking lot areas in anticipation of
the entire renovation beginning next summer.

•  Bullying Prevention and Training was on the agenda in each school this
week.  Principals are working closely with all staff to share updates and
information about bullying and cyber-bullying and the district's response
to bullying behavior.  Next week the School Committee will hear an update
about the steps we are taking as a district to comply with the recent
legislation around bullying, and they will also consider a new district
policy designed to address bullying in the schools.  Parents can expect
additional information and updates as we work to ensure our schools remain
safe, secure, healthy, and respectful learning environments for all
children.

•  Calling all Engineers!  This fall we would like to invite parents,
Needham High graduates, neighbors, and other members of the Needham
community who are engineers (electrical, computer, mechanical, etc.) or in
related career fields to attend a breakfast and learn about some of the
Science, Technology, Math, and Engineering initiatives we are pursuing in
Needham's schools.  If you or someone you know may be interested in
receiving an invitation to the breakfast (date still to be determined),
please send contact information to joyce_wiggin at needham.k12.ma.us

•  Adult Education programs have been mailed out.  For more information,
please check the district's website:
http://rwd1.needham.k12.ma.us/community_education/Adult%20Education

Again this year we will strive to integrate the core values of
Scholarship, Personal Growth, Citizenship, and Community into all of our
work with Needham’s students. We believe there is no higher purpose for
the community than to ensure our children have an exceptional educational
experience that will empower them as learners and citizens.

Let me take this opportunity to wish each young person a successful school
year!

As always, please contact me now and throughout the year with questions,
comments, and suggestions. I can be reached at 781.455.0400, extension 203
or [ mailto:dan_gutekanst at needham.k12.ma.us
]dan_gutekanst at needham.k12.ma.us

Sincerely,

Daniel E. Gutekanst, Ed.D.