Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.mec.edu
Mon Oct 18 11:06:47 EDT 2010

Dear Parents and Guardians:

I hope you enjoyed the weekend!  A few brief updates to begin the week:

•  Bullying Policy  On October 5, 2010 The Needham School Committee
adopted a Bullying Policy for the district. The Policy can be found
on-line under "News" at [ http://www.needham.k12.ma.us/
]http://www.needham.k12.ma.us/ .  Within the policy you will find details
about Needham Schools’ prohibition of bullying, definitions of bullying
and cyber-bullying and our reporting and investigating procedures and
obligations.  I hope you will take a few moments to familiarize yourself
with its contents. The district is continuing its work in response to the
Anti-Bullying Law by developing a Bullying Prevention and Intervention
Plan.  This Plan has various sections, including the delineation of
administrative responsibilities and annual staff and parent training and
the documentation of our anti-bullying curriculum.  Throughout October and
November, various portions of the proposed district Bullying Prevention
and Intervention Plan will be made available for student, parent and
community comments and feedback through School Council, Student Council
and parent organization meetings and Principals’ Newsletters.  We welcome
your comments as we construct a meaningful Plan for our district.

•  Draft Goals  Please review the Needham Schools' draft 2010-11 goals on
the district's website:  http://rwd1.needham.k12.ma.us/school_committee/
The School Committee will be discussing the goals at their regular meeting
on October 19th and they welcome your feedback and comments:
schoolcommittee at needham.k12.ma.us

•  Calling All Engineers!  Please join students and staff for a morning
cup of coffee on Tuesday, October 26, 2010 from 8:00 until 9:30 a.m. at
the Pollard Middle School to learn more about the Science, Technology,
Engineering, and Math (STEM) initiatives we are developing in our schools.
You will have an opportunity to learn more about:
	-The Needham elementary STEM program
	-Pollard's engineering and design course for 7th and 8th grade students
	-The fast growing FIRST LEGO League elementary program
		and much more...
Teachers and students will share their experiences and answer your
questions about how we are integrating STEM concepts into the Needham
Public Schools experience.  You will also have an opportunity to learn
about how you can become involved in our work as we strive to prepare our
students to meet the challenges and opportunities of the 21st Century.
Please let us know if you are coming:  rsvp at needham.k12.ma.us

•  New Emergency Communication System  The school department will soon
deploy an emergency notification system that will allow us to phone and
email parents about school emergencies and weather-related school
closures.  Please make sure you have updated contact information in [
https://powerschool.needham.k12.ma.us/public/ ]Power School to ensure we
have the most updated information for your student and family.  Also, if
you have not already done so, please go ahead and join the [
http://www.needhamma.gov/index.aspx?nid=1249 ]Town of Needham Emergency
Notification System  if you wish to be contacted by the Fire or Police
Departments in the event of a Town-wide emergency.

•  School Committee Open House  The Needham School Committee will hold its
fall Open House, this year at Newman during the annual  [
http://www.clubrunner.ca/CPrg/home/eventitem.asp?cid=3694&iid=108564&rtp=/CPrg/home/homeE.asp
]Needham Rotary Club Pancake Scholarship Breakfast  in the cafeteria.  The
Open House will be held from 9:00 a.m. until 10:30 a.m. and provides an
informal opportunity for the School Committee to hear from parents and
community members.  Grab a stack of pancakes and stop by to say hello to
your School Committee, ask a question, or make a suggestion.  They are
eager to meet you!

•  Superintendent's Blog  The [ http://npssuperintendent.blogspot.com/
]Superintendent's Blog has recently been posted for October.  I welcome
your feedback.

We have enjoyed a terrific opening to the school year.  I am very
impressed with the high level of engagement, creativity, enthusiasm, and
learning evident in the classrooms I have been visiting.  As always,
please contact me at 781.455.0400, x 203 or
dan_gutekanst at needham.k12.ma.us if you have a comment, question, or
concern.

Thanks!

Dan Gutekanst