Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.mec.edu
Tue Dec 7 14:53:10 EST 2010

Dear Parents and Guardians:

A few updates:

•  2011-12 Budget Plan  I will present a preliminary budget recommendation
for the 2011-12 school year (FY12) to the School Committee this evening.
I will be recommending a budget of $48 million, an increase of 5.1% over
the current school year.  Developing the budget this year has again been a
challenge, especially within the context of a difficult economic climate.
School administrators and staff developed the budget knowing that the
Needham community has high expectations for student learning and
achievement but limited resources to fund all school programs.  If
approved, this request allows us to meet all contractual obligations,
provide additional funding for special education services, and address
some enrollment growth at the secondary level.  The School Committee
invites you to participate in the upcoming budget discussion and attend a
budget hearing scheduled for January 18th to learn about the proposal and
share feedback and comments.  Beginning tomorrow you may view the FY12
preliminary budget proposal in the "News" section of the district's
website.

•  Bullying Prevention Plan  Over the last few months, the district has
collaborated with parents, teachers and community members to create a
document entitled, "Bullying Prevention and Intervention Plan", which will
also be presented at the School Committee meeting tonight.  The School
Committee will vote to adopt the plan at its meeting on December 21st.

The Bullying Prevention Plan and our work with students, staff, and
families will continue to evolve over the next few months as we further
develop our curriculum, professional development model, and parent
education program.  Please take a few minutes to read the plan, and if you
wish, provide comments and feedback.  The plan can be found at our
district's homepage under "News":  http://www.needham.k12.ma.us/ Comments
should be sent to:  christine_brumbach at needham.k12.ma.us

•  Student Award  Congratulations to two Needham High School students,
Rebecca Noble and Ethan Samet-Marram, who will receive the Massachusetts
Association of School Superintendents' (MASS) Award presented annually to
two outstanding seniors who demonstrate exemplary academic success in high
school.  These two young people, both of whom are at the top of their
class, clearly represent the finest of our students, and their hard work
and passion for learning reflects the values of the Needham Public
Schools:  Scholarship, Citizenship, Community and Personal Growth. Thanks
to their teachers for encouraging them and to their parents for supporting
them.  They will be honored at the December 21st School Committee meeting.

Have a great week!

Sincerely,

Dan Gutekanst

Superintendent of Needham Public Schools
781.455.0400 x203
dan_gutekanst at nnedham.k12.ma.us