Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.mec.edu
Fri Apr 16 14:12:17 EDT 2010

Friday, April 16, 2010

Dear Parents and Guardians:

Allow me to share a few brief updates to conclude the week:

•  Calendar  Assuming there will be no more snow flying in New England
causing us to cancel school, the last day of classes will be Thursday,
June 17th.  As a reminder, the first day of school for the 2010-11 school
year is Wednesday, September 1, 2010.

•  Walk to School Day  Students (and parents!) are invited to participate
in Walk to School Day on May 5th.  This is a great opportunity for
students to enjoy a brisk walk to school with friends and allow for at
least one day, perhaps, of reduced traffic congestion and pollution.  For
more information, try these links:
http://wiki.greenneedham.org/gnc/index.php/Schools/Projects/Walking   OR
http://www.needhaminmotion.com/page/calendar-view

•  Elementary Math Curriculum  On Thursday, May 6, parents are invited to
attend an information session about Everyday Math and Think Math!, the two
elementary math programs under consideration for adoption by the Needham
Public Schools.    Laurie Levin, Elementary Math Curriculum Leader and
Emily Gaberman, Broadmeadow Principal, will share highlights of both
programs and provide time for questions and exploration of the materials
at the end of the session.  This will take place from 7-8 PM at the
Broadmeadow School Media Center.  Parent participation and input is
encouraged!

•  Parent Program  As we head into the spring and our high school students
begin preparing for proms and graduation parties, I am reminded that our
young people need our continued guidance, advice, and support so they can
make appropriate and safe decisions about alcohol and drugs.  Too many
teens have disrupted, ruined, or lost their lives due to the use/abuse of
alcohol or illegal drugs, and caring adults and parents must do whatever
we can, especially when our children are younger, to provide them with the
strategies and information they need to avoid tragic circumstances.  The
Needham Coalition for Youth Substance Abuse and Prevention will host a
parent program entitled, How to Raise a Drug-Free Kid:  The Straight Dope
for Parents featuring Joseph Califano Jr., the Former U.S. Secretary of
Health, Education and Welfare on May 11th.  This program is for all
parents, regardless of your child's age.  More information and a flier
detailing the program can be found on the Needham Health Department's
website:  http://www.needhamma.gov/index.aspx?NID=2539

Please enjoy the upcoming April vacation with your family and friends!

As always, contact me with questions or comments:
dan_gutekanst at needham.k12.ma.us or 781.455.0400, x 203 .

Sincerely,

Dan Gutekanst
Superintendent of Schools