Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.mec.edu
Mon Sep 28 21:50:26 EDT 2009

Dear Parents and Guardians:

I hope you enjoyed the weekend!  A few brief updates to begin the week:

•  High Rock Dedication  We will formally dedicate the newly expanded and
renovated High Rock School on Sunday afternoon, October 25th at 2:00 p.m.
All are invited for the ceremony, tours, and light refreshments.

•  Newman Renovation Numerous parents and community members have requested
information about the planned Newman project.  Folks are trying to
understand what the project is all about as the town prepares to hear from
the Massachusetts School Building Authority (MSBA) about reimbursement for
the proposed renovation.  We recently added a new page on the district's
website to provide information about the plans: [
http://rwd1.needham.k12.ma.us/newman_renovation_updates/ ]Newman
Renovation Information   Additionally, the School Committee will vote to
recommend an override to support the project at their next meeting,
October 6, 2009 at Broadmeadow.  Because Newman plays a critical role in
the Needham community as the town's largest elementary school, KASE and
NEDP site, Science Center home, Parks and Recreation gym facility,
community theatre, and Town Meeting venue, I encourage all parents to
learn about this important school and community renovation project.

•  School Committee Open House  The Needham School Committee will hold its
annual Open House on Saturday, October 17th, this year at Newman during
the annual [
http://www.clubrunner.ca/CPrg/Home/eventitem.asp?cid=3694&iid=85039&rtp=/CPrg/Home/homeE.asp
]Rotary Scholarship Pancake Breakfast in the cafeteria.  The Open House
will be held from 9:00 a.m. until 10:30 a.m. and provides an informal
opportunity for the School Committee to hear from parents and community
members.   Grab a stack of pancakes and stop by to say hello to your
School Committee, ask a question, or make a suggestion.  They are eager to
meet you! Please note:  The pancake breakfast begins at 7:00 a.m. and
continues until 1:00 p.m.

•  Community Education  Please check out the new fall classes offered
through the Needham Public Schools:  [
http://rwd1.needham.k12.ma.us/community_education/Adult%20Education
]Community Education Autumn Classes  Fall is a great time to learn new
skills and meet new friends and neighbors.

We have enjoyed a terrific opening to the school year!  I am very
impressed with the high level of engagement, creativity, enthusiasm, and
learning evident in the classrooms I have been visiting.  I am excited for
the year to unfold and want you to know how much I appreciate being your
superintendent.

As always, please contact me at 781.455.0400, x 203 or
dan_gutekanst at needham.k12.ma.us if you have a comment, question, or
concern.  Thanks!

Dan Gutekanst
Superintendent of Schools