Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.mec.edu
Mon Aug 31 16:59:28 EDT 2009

Monday, August 31, 2009

Dear Parents and Guardians:

Welcome to the 2009-10 school year! I hope and trust that you and your
family enjoyed some time together this summer to rest and relax.

I know I appreciated the time I spent with my family visiting relatives,
enjoying the beach, and hiking a couple of Maine's beautiful mountains.  A
quick story:  One of my older daughters, who frequently complained about
all the hiking the family was "forced" to do while she was growing up,
came back from freshman year in college, and one of the first questions
out of her mouth was:  "Do we get to go mountain climbing this summer?"
My wife and I were both stunned and pleased!  It's nice to know that as
they grow up, our children begin to appreciate and even enjoy some of the
things we made them "endure" when they were little.

As we prepare for the opening of school on Wednesday, September 2nd,
please allow me to share a few updates:

• 2009 Performance Report  has been mailed out and should be in your home
within the next several days. The report provides detailed information
about Needham's schools, programs, and student achievement. We are very
proud of the report and hope you find it valuable and useful.

•  High Rock School will open on time for our 6th grade students and
staff.  The Needham community should be very proud of its
willingness to fund and support this wonderful new school that has been
constructed on time and under budget!  Principal Jessica Downey and the
staff have worked throughout the summer to ensure students are welcomed to
what will be an amazing opportunity for learning and growth. High Rock
parents and 6th graders are invited to an Open House on Tuesday, September
1st at 1:00 p.m.  Learn more about [
http://highrock.needham.k12.ma.us/main/ ]High Rock School  on the
district's website.

•  The Newman Renovation project moves forward.  Architects are busily
completing a schematic design and costs estimates for a major Newman
renovation and preparing to share this with town boards, including the
School Committee at its first meeting Tuesday evening, September 1st at
7:00 p.m. at Broadmeadow.  We are working with the Massachusetts School
Building Authority (MSBA) to secure partial funding of this important
project for a likely 2011 construction start.  In order for this project
to move forward, of course, the entire Needham community will need to pass
an override that is presently being planned for December.  More
information about the Newman project can be found on the district's
website: [ http://newman.needham.k12.ma.us/updates/remediationnews.htm
]Newman Remediation Updates

•  H1N1 Updates will be available on the district's website:  [
http://rwd1.needham.k12.ma.us/health_services/ ]H1N1 Flu Update  Parents
who have questions about the upcoming flu season and any concerns about
the H1N1 (Swine Flu) should contact their pediatrician and consult our
website for regular updates.

Finally, again this year we will strive to integrate the core values of
Scholarship, Personal Growth, Citizenship, and Community into all of our
work with Needham’s students. We believe there is no higher purpose for
the community than to ensure our children have an exceptional educational
experience that will empower them as learners and citizens.

We are looking forward to greeting your child and all the students this
week. Let me take this opportunity to wish each young person a successful
school year!

As always, please contact me now and throughout the year with questions,
comments, and suggestions. I can be reached at 781.455.0400, extension 203
or [ mailto:dan_gutekanst at needham.k12.ma.us
]dan_gutekanst at needham.k12.ma.us

Sincerely,

Daniel E. Gutekanst, Ed.D.