Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.mec.edu
Tue Jun 17 15:12:49 EDT 2008

June 17, 2008

Dear Parents and Guardians:

As the school year draws to a close, allow me to update you on a few items:

•  Student Creativity  Congratulations to all of our students who
showcased their efforts in the schools' art shows and performed so well in
various concerts and music performances over the last several weeks.  It
is clear that this community values creativity as evidenced by the skill
and talent of our young people and the staff and parents who support them.

•  Graduation  349 members of the Needham High School Class of 2008
received their diplomas at Babson College this past week during the
Graduation Exercises attended by faculty, family, and friends.  The
graduates beamed throughout the ceremony as each one received his or her
diploma from Principal Richards and members of the School Committee.  In
addition, during the traditional Class Day, over $184,000 in scholarships
and honors were awarded to deserving NHS seniors.  These scholarships
represent the community's continued support and commitment to the young
people of Needham High School.

•  Newman Elementary School  The town and school department continue to
work closely to address the ongoing air quality concerns at Newman.  This
summer an enormous amount of work will be completed to ensure the
building's heating and ventilation systems work properly and to provide a
safe and healthy environment for all students and staff.  At the same time
the Permanent Public Building Committee (PPBC) is charged with the task of
determining a permanent solution to heating and ventilation concerns in
the building.  I remain confident that the right resources are being
applied and that we will all work together-Town Government, Schools, and
the Needham community- to address and solve this problem.  We will hold an
additional evening parent meeting tomorrow, Wednesday, June 18th at 7:00
p.m. in the Newman auditorium to update parents about our progress and
plans. The meeting will also be re-broadcast on cable for those unable to
attend.

Finally, as summer draws near and the school year concludes, please know
that I continue to be so impressed with Needham's young people and the
work they have accomplished.  As I visit the schools and classrooms, I
observe enthusiastic and confident students who are eager to share their
knowledge and help one another.  It is clear that they embody the
district's values of Scholarship, Citizenship, Community, and Personal
Growth inside and outside of the classroom.  I am very proud to be the
superintendent of schools in this community!

Thanks for your guidance and support and enjoy the summer months with your
family.

Sincerely,

Dan Gutekanst, Ed.D.
Superintendent